Goodnestone near Faversham with Index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of St Bartholomew Church, Noted by Bax & Rice 19th May 1892/22nd April 1897
Pages 49 to 53 & 115 to 121 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches typed up by Margaret Broomfield
In the church
Copied by Mr. R.G. Rice
1. Blue ledger arms as rubbed – Two chevrons in a chief 3 cinquefoils a mullet for difference impailing a chevron, between 3 fleur de lis. Crest, issuing from a mural crown, an eagles? head between 2 wings, collared
Here lyeth interred the body of Elizabeth ye wife of Robert BRADNAX of St. Nicholas Harboledowne Gent. and sole daughter of Gabriell Richards of Goodnestone Gent. both in the County of Kent. She was borne ye 9th of September 1623, married the 5th of June 1649. Shee parted with a transitory and troublesome life in exchange for an eternal the 6 of February 1669 being in the 46 yeare of her age.
2. Blue ledger adjoining the last and to the N of it. Arms above as rubbed – a labon? the first inscription a chev between 3 fleur de lis a label of 3 points for difference imp on a chevron between 3 lions paws errased. Crest as many amulets Here lieth ye bodys of John RICHARDS Gent. and of Alice his wife (daughter of Vallentine Austen Gent.). He dyed the 15th of January 1609, shee the 16th of July 1600. Arms as rubbed come in here viz a chev between 3 fleur de lis, imp ermine on a chief indented, 3 crowns.
Here lieth ye body of Elizabeth (daughter of George Smith of Stamford Gent.) wife of Gabriel Richards Gent. she died the 29th of August 1642. Also here lieth ye body of John Richards Gent; only sonn of Gabriel Richards, he dyed ye 24th of September 1661 aged 34 yeres.
3. Blue ledger in Nave no arms Here lie the remains of Edward WANSTALL of Canterbury who died January 5 1782 aged 55 years.
4. There is a ledger of blue marble with white on inscribed to Sir John BOYS of Benington Kent 8 October 1661.
Indent of a brass to a woman and 2 shields of arms – still remain.
Tuesday 10 May 1892
5. HS scull and crossbones, E of church Here lieth the body of Mary the wife of Larrance (sic) FRIGHT who departed this life May ye 6th 1727 aged 88 years.
6. HS scull above Here lieth ye body of Larrance FRIGHT who died October the 31 1713 in ye 74th yeares of his age.
7. HS scull above Here lieth ye body of Margret daughter of Larrance (sic) FRIGHT and Margret his wife who departed this life June 29th 1721 aged 10 years. (Back of same stone). Here lieth also ye body of Margaret wife of ye above said Larrance Fright who departed this life June ye 22 1766 aged 88 years.
8. HS 2 sculls Here lieth interr’d ye body of Mary ye wife of John DANNELLIS of this parish who dyed February ye 22nd 1710/11 in the 25th yeare of her age. She left issue one daughter.
9. HS broken – on scull remains Here lieth interr’d the body of Sarah BECKETT who departed this life June ye 28 1751 aged 74 years.
10. HS on South side of churchyard In memory of Elizabeth wife of Robert BAX of Goodnestone departed this life on the 23rd February 1858 aged 74 years.
11. Several HS to names of Hutchinson (yeoman).
12. HS clouds and rays on the left – a child throwing off clothes and rising from a coffin – two vases one at head and one at foot. Part of a broken column on the left To the memory of Hannah the wife of Richard COOPER of this parish who died August the 6 1801 aged 79 years. Also of Richard COOPER husband to the above who died October 17th 1808 aged 92 years.
13. HS "Chippendale" vas carved above In memory of Edward NASH yeoman late of this parish who departed this life the 24th of September 1798 aged 68 years. Also of Sarah his wife who departed this life the 12th of April 1788 aged 56 years. And four of their children viz. James Nash died the 27th of November 1770 aged 4 years, William Nash died the 9th of May 1775 aged 21 years, Sarah Nash died the 14th of April 18 aged 23 years, John Nash died the 10th of April 1787 aged 22 years. Left surviving one son Edward Nash.
Copied by Mr. R.G. Rice
14. Headstone S of church – cherub’s head at top Here lieth the body of Elizabeth wife of Lawrence TUCKER and daughter of Stephen and Mary Church, who departed this life the 8th day of September 1760 aged 63. Also of the above said Mr. Laurence Tucker who departed this life November the 22nd 1772 aged 77 years. Our glass is run, yours is running, be afraid to sin, death and judgement’s coming, watch and pray.
15. HS East of last – a cherub’s head foliage, etc. at top Here lieth the body of Stephen CHURCH and Mary his wife late of this parish. He died September 30th 1743 aged 78 years. She died December the 21st 1760 aged 91 years. Leaving issue eight sons and four daughters who all surviv’d the above said Stephen. Also here lieth the body of Elizabeth the wife of James, son of the above said Stephen and Mary Church. She died June the 11th 1747 aged 42 years.
16. HS to North of last – two cherub’s heads and a triangle at top Here lieth the bodys of Thomas HARVEY and Bennett his wife of St. Giles in the Fields, London. She died November 12th aged 53 years and he died December 8th aged 70 years. Both in the year 1757. In sweet repose here lies interr’d the dust of those who’s paths were peace, who’s actions just. Their souls ascend to the harmonious sphere (sic) with hymns of power (praise) to meet their saviour there.
17. HS South of church – a cherub’s head at the top of stone Here lieth the body of Thomas son of Thomas and Elizabeth NEAME. He left issue one daughter Elizabeth by Elizabeth his wife. He died May 31 1756 aged 42 years.
18. Large HS South of chancel. Two cherub’s head, two trumpets, rays etc. To the memory of Robert MOCKETT who died the 28th of December 1747 aged 71 years. Also of Mary his wife who died the 30th of October 1736 in the 62 year of her age.
19. Large HS close to S of last. Cherub’s heads on top In memory of Mr. Robert MOCKETT yeoman late of this parish who departed this life September the 24th 1792 aged 69 years.
20. HS East of church In memory of Martha DUNKIN died 12th December 1854 aged 59 years.
21. HS South of church In memory of John CLARINGBOULD yeoman who departed this life the 5th of September 1796 aged 59 years. He left surviving Mary his wife and four children viz. Mary, Annabella, Clarissa and John . Also of Mary his widow who died September 14th 1799 aged 49 years. (Mary Claringbould married George Skyring (later a Major in the Royal Artillery) 13.7.1796 St.George ,Canterbury Kent. Annabella Claringbould married John Langley (info on IGI ) from John Leslie 15th January 2008.)
22. HS South of church. Crossbones and hourglass between two sculls Here lieth buried ye body of Elizabeth ye wife of James SAYER late of this parish who departed this life January ye 17 1714/15 aged 25 years. She was daughter of John and Elizabeth Tucker.
GUNESTON CHURCH? - ?GOODNESTONE 22 April 1897
23. Memorial window 3 lights, geometrical design, 3 stalks of wheat in centre – brass slip in front "Austin NEAME of Homestall Faversham died January 14th 1837 aged 45 years also Anne Hilton late widow of the above died April 15th 1875 aged 72 years erected by their six children".
24. On floor of nave W end Beneath this stone are interr’d the remains of William ADAMS of Goodneston Court, who died the 18th of December 1827 aged 62 years. Also Esther wife of the above who died May 20th 1832 aged 87 years.
25. Blue ledger (no arms) Here lyeth interred the body of Richard HOUGHAM tenant of Goodnestone Court who departed this life the 19th day of December AD 1686 aged 49 years. In memory of whom Michel Hougham his elder son caused this stone to be here layd.
26. Here lyeth the body of S..sanna the wife of John HUNT parson of this parish who deceased the sixt d… of Mar..h anno domini 16…..
27. East window filled with 4 ….. symbols and geometrical work. The holy lamb and flag in the top light. In dark Roman letters on white glass. "In memory of the family of MARTON of Langden Court in Faversham many of whom are interred in this churchyard. Erected by their surviving relatives in the year of our Lord God MDCCCLXIV".
GUNESTON (GOODNESTONE) CHURCHYARD
22 April 1897
Names in churchyard
28. Minter (very indistinct), Orman 1894, Divers 1863 1872 1883, Theobald 1872, 1885, Smith of Homestall 1811-1874, Clement Hubert s. of Philip and Elizabeth Ann Sankey, Morrison of Tarves ……"Deathe" head.
29. HS To the memory of Ann the second wife of Stephen MINTER of this parish who died the 28th of January 1829 aged 86 years.
30. HS To the memory of Stephen MINTER of this parish who departed this life the 27th of March 1806 aged 68 years.
31. HS R caps Sacred to the memory of Mary ADAMS late of this parish died 12th October 1862 aged 59 years. Also Esther sister of the above died 15th March 1877 in the 82nd year of her age. Also John Zechariah brother of the above died 18th March 1877 in the 77th year of his age.
32. HS near the NE side of church 3 sculls Here lye the bodies of James GRIGGS of this parish blacksmith and Susanna his wife. She died December ye 6 1724 aged 32 years. He died January ye 16 1745 aged 57 years who had issue 3 sons and one daughter viz. James and William lye buryed here John and Ann surviving.
33a. High tomb, railed in the N pannel In memory of Thomas STONE, Gent obt the 16th of December 1815 aet 87 years. Also of Dorothy his sister obt the 14 of May 1823 aet 83 years.
33b. In the S pannel Sacred to the memory of John Wingfield STONE, Gent obt the 5th of June 1822 aet 55 years. Also of Thomas James son of the above (student of Magdalen Hall Oxford) obt the 3rd of January 1823 aet 20 years. Also of Sarah, wife of the above John Wingfield Stone who died December 26th 1847 aged 68 years.
33c. On the top Sacred to the memory of George ………………………… Edward …………. and Mary his wife who dep………………….
33d. In the W pannel In memory of Edward STONE third son of John Wingfield Stone and Sarah his wife who died November 19th 1858 aged 50 years.
34e. In the E pannel In memory of George eldest son of John Wingfield STONE and Sarah his wife who died April 7th AD 1840 aged 39 years.
35. HS In memory of Margaret wife of Richard SOLLY of the town of Faversham and daughter of Henry DENNE of Littlebourne court. She died the 17th of February 1810 aged 72 years. Also the above named Richard Solly died the 11th of January 1821 aged 80 years.
36. HS In memory of Sarah daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth MURTON of Graveney who departed this life the 11th of February 1829 aged 12 years and 4 months.
37. HS Elizabeth daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth MURTON of Graveney died the 10th of March 1819 aged 4 years and 3 months. Also George their son died the 19th of February 1822 aged 9 years.
38. Body stone, coffin shaped Edward MURTON born October 2nd 1843 died November 19th 1844. William Ash Murton born August 20th 1847 (sic) died 23rd October 1818.
39. HS In memory of Sarah wife of Nicholas MURTON of Sandbanks Farm in the parish of Graveney who died the 11th of September 1799 aged 23 years. Their daughter Sally Ann died the 7th of November 1799 aged 10 weeks and deposited in the same grave. Also sacred to the memory of Robert son of the above mentioned Nicholas Murton by Eleanor his second wife. He departed this life at Funchal in the Island of Madeira on the 25th of May 1827 in the 18th year of his age. By rectitude of conduct and gentleness of manners, he acquired the esteem of all who knew him.
40. HS (all R caps) To the memory of Mary, daughter of John and Margaret MURTON of Langdown Court near this place who died 16th August 1796 aged 21 years.
41. HS To the memory of Mr. John MURTON of Langdown Farm in the parish of Faversham who died the 18th of January 1808 aged 68 years. Also Margaret his wife died the 9th of October 1813 aged 68 years.
42. HS In memory of Sarah wife of Thomas SOLLY and daughter of John and Margaret Murton who departed this life the 27th of November 1813; in the 48th year of her age. Also of Thomas Solly her husband who departed this life the 30th of August 1839 leaving two sons Richard and Thomas.
43. HS To the memory of Margaret, daughter of John and Margaret MURTON who died the 6th of January 1818 aged 48 years.
44. HS To the memory of Margaret, daughter of Thomas and Sarah SOLLY who departed this life the 28th of June 1820 aged 26 years.
45. HS In memory of Sarah daughter of Thomas and Sarah SOLLY who died the 2nd of July 1828 aged 30 years.
46. HS (R caps) Sacred to the memory of Edward HUGHES late of Faversham; who departed this life January 13th 1863 aged 74 years. Also to the memory of Jane Murton niece of the above, and only daughter of William and Jane Murton, of Langdon Court who died October 21st 1887 in the 76th year of her age.
47. HS In memory of Maria daughter of Nicholas and Eleanor MURTON who departed this life 21st March 1856 aged 43 years.
48. HS In memory of Mr. Nicholas MURTON formerly of Sandbanks but late of Harrietsham in this County; who died the 4th of February, 1833 aged 60 years. Also of Eleanor his wife, who died at Faversham on the 26th of December 1867 in the 90th year of her age.
49. HS To the memory of Mr. William MURTON of Langdown Court in the parish of Faversham died the 7th of August 1830 aged 47 years. Also Edward, son of the above born the 2nd of October 1813 died the 19th of November 1814. Also Jane wife of the above who died 19th of February 1858 aged 72 years.
50. HS (R caps) To the memory of Elizabeth wife of Mr. Thomas MURTON of Sandbanks in the parish of Graveney; who died the 25th of June 1846 aged 68 years. Also of the above named Thomas Murton who departed this life the 28th of April 1852 aged 73 years.
51. HS R. caps To the memory of Caroline wife of Mr. Charles MURTON (of the parish of Boughton-under-Blean) who died March the 25th 1851 aged 45 years. Also the above named Charles Murton who died at Sandbanks April 17th 1893 aged 82 years.
52. HS In memory of Belinda wife of John Hughes MURTON of School Farm in the parish of Faversham (youngest daughter of Mr. George Ash of Canterbury) who departed this life 17th August 1855 aged 30 years. Also of Hughes Murton, infant son of the above who departed this life 28th/23rd September 1855 aged 10 months. Also of the above named john Hughes Murton who departed this life 24th March 1886 aged 76 years. They will be done. (Back of same HS). John Hughes Murton was the eldest son of William and Jane Murton and died at Langdon Court leaving issue, three daughters.
53. A white marble cross on three steps – curb with rails, small cross at foot, in 3 stages Anne HILTON, of Sole Street House, Selling and late of Homestall, Faversham died April 15th 1873 aged 72 years.
54. HS of Aberdeen Granite, curb and low railing + Sacred to the memory of Richard Beale NEAME of Homestall, Faversham died 22nd December 1893 aged 65 years.
55. HS of Aberdeen Granite – curb and low railing Sacred to the memory of Fanny NEAME the beloved wife of Richard Beale Neame died 9th December 1875 aged 35 years.
56. NB On a house (? malthouse or granary) leading to the church J. Blaxland June 30 1733.
Index of Names and Places
ADAMS 24, 31
| Divers 28 |
FRIGHT 5, 6, 7
MINTER 28, 29, 30
MOCKETT 18, 19
| MURTON 36 to 43, 46 to 52 |
NEAME 17, 23,54, 55
RICHARDS 1, 2
Smith 2, 28
SOLLY 35, 42, 44, 45
STONE 33a, 33b, 33d, 33e
TUCKER 14, 21
Wingfield 33b, 33d, 33e
Canterbury 3, 52
Faversham 35, 46
Homestall, 23, 28, 53, 54
Langden Court, 27
Langdon Court 46
Langdown Court, 40, 49, 52
Langdown Farm, 41
School Farm, 52
| Funchal, Madeira 39 |
Goodneston Court 24, 25
Goodnestone 1, 10
Graveney 36, 37, 39
Sandbanks Farm 39
Sandbanks 48, 50, 51
Harboledowne, St. Nicholas 1
Littlebourne Court 35
London, St. Giles in the Fields 16
| Maderia 39 |
Magdalen Hall Oxford 33b
Sole Street House 53
yeoman 11, 13, 19, 21