St Michael Churchyard M.I.s, Sittingbourne
with Index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Sittingbourne Church, Noted by Bax & Rice Tuesday 3rd May 1897
Pages 93 to 94 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches typed up by Margaret Broomfield
3 May 1897
1. HS Here lyeth ye body of John BARNS of this parish who died October 23 1741 aged 34 years.
2. HS In memory of Samuel BARNES of this parish, yeoman, who departed this life the 19th of July 1800 aged 63 years. Left 7 sons and 3 daughters. Also (more much obliterated).
3. HS Sacred to the memory of William BAX GARRETT of Rainham who died the 10 of November 1837 aged 40 years. Also the following children of the above Mary, who died the 3rd of August 1828 aged two years and a half. John who died the 11th of December 1836 aged 4 months. Frances who died the 31st of December 1837 aged 5 years. Henry who died the 17 of January 1838 aged 7 years.
4. Flat stone Sacred to the memory of William BAX GARRETT of this parish who died 16th July 1850 aged 83 years. Also Ruth wife of the above who died 22nd November 1859 aged 82 years. Also John son of the above who died 19th March 1865 aged 59 years and lies in Milton churchyard.
5. HS Here lyeth the body of John son of John GARRETT of this parish collar maker who departed this life April …. aged ….. (many lines, perhaps of poetry).
6. Here lyeth the body of Elizabeth wife of William GARRETT of this parish, collar maker, who departed this life the 22nd of March 1803 aged 28 years. Left issue three children viz, Elizabeth, William and Mary. (6 lines "Leaving a virtuous wife").
7. HS cupid above etc. (facing the high tomb to "Boulding" East side) To the memory of Mary wife of William BAX of this parish collar maker who departed this life the 2 of ?May ?March 1778 aged 32 years. Leaving issue two daughters, Mary and Eleanor. Also the above William Bax who departed this life the 14 of July 1792 aged 80 years.
8. HS Here lyeth the body of Eleanor wife of John GARRETT of this parish who departed this life the 28 of December 1788 aged 41 years. Left a husband and 4 sons viz, William, John, Richard and George. She was ………. wife (6 lines). Also of the above John Garrett who departed this life 14th of December 1797 aged 3/57 years. If any asks whose dust reposith here etc. (several lines).
9. HS open book, trumpet within a stone pannel the following:- Here lieth the body of Mary wife of John KEYES. She died September ye 25th 1712 aged 28 years. Here also lieth ye body of ye above said John Keyes who departed this life ye 17th day of March 1722 aged 42 years. Nere this place lieth their three sons.
Index of Names and Places
BAX 3, 4, 7
GARRETT 3, 4, 5, 6, 8
| Places Index |
| General |
collar maker 5, 7