
The Biddenden and Boundgate Turnpike Road, 1766-1883
Contributions to the next volume are welcome. See the guidance for contributors and contact Editor Jason Mazzocchi. Also see the guidance for peer review.
Search page
Search within this page here, search the collection page or search the website.
Recent Discoveries at Reculver
The Lost Village of Merston
THE BIDDENDEN AND BOUNDGATE TURNPIKE ROAD.
1766-1883
By F. C. ELLISTON-ERWOOD, F.S.A.
THE Turnpike System of road maintenance was introduced into Kent
in 1709 by the Act 8 Anne c. 20, whereby the control of the Sevenoaks,
Tonbridge and Tunbridge WeUs roads passed to Trustees appointed by
that Act. It was nearly half a century before this admittedly successful
experiment was applied to the Weald. NaturaUy the three great
highways into the county from the metropolis, the Dover, Hythe and
Rye roads, were the first to receive attention, but even here the process
of turnpiking was piecemeal and they were not completely in the hands
of Trustees tUl well into the eighteenth century. Until these main
arteries were in a state of reasonable repah there was not much to be
gained by repairing the highways up from the Weald.
But from 1750 till 1775 there was an almost feverish haste to obtain
Acts of Parliament which would sanction improvements in those
Kentish roads which had had. for a long time an evil reputation among
both traveUers and residents. This was particularly so in the Weald,
and now from Cranbrook and its immediate neighbourhood, greatly
improved communications began to appear, Unking up that remote
district with Maidstone, Ashford, Chatham, Faversham and Canterbury.
It wUl be observed that the general line of advancement was
northwards, to clear as soon as might be the treacherous clays of the
Weald, to reach as quickly as possible the drier, firmer terrain of the
southern slope of the North Downs. One of these roads was that from
Biddenden through Smarden, Pluckley, Little Chart and Charing, to
meet the aheady formed road from Ashford to Faversham, at a place
eaUed Boundgate (Fig. 1). The Act authorizing the reconstruction of
this road was in the usual form. After reciting the course of the new
highway and emphasizing the ruinous and " foundered " state of the
existing way, a long list of Trustees followed, containing nearly a
hundred names, including many of the notable famUies of the county,
the Hales, the KnatchbuUs, the Derings, SackvUles and FUmers with a
host of lesser folk, landed gentry and the clergy. Of this imposing
array, it must be admitted that this was the first and only appearance
of most of them in the annals of the Trust ; the Act specified seven
Trustees as a quorum, and this seems to have been taken as a directive,
for rarely did more than that number appear at the regular meetings.
185
BIDDENDEN AND BOUNDGATE TURNPIKE ROAD, 1766-1883
Weftwctty'anfh
#