Skip to main content
Parish
Body


Deal with Index of names and places at end

Back to Churchyards listed

Some Monumental Inscriptions of St George's Church, Deal,  Noted by  Rev Bryan Faussett in 1759    

Also some Monumental Inscriptions  Noted by Zechariah Cozens about 1795, added 30th September 2008    

Kindly typed up for the website by Pat Tritton

This Chappell consists of 1 very handsome Room, with Galleries quite round, except at the East End; It was built by Subscription in the Year 1715. There are no Inscriptions in it; nor, are any Persons permitted to be buried in it. It has only 1 Small Bell.

1. In the Chapell Yard are Altar Tombs, for ALLEN 1724. DRAYSON, HERVIE, HILL, IGGULDEN, KELLEY, OTBIE, NICHOLLS, SHOCKLEDGE and WALKER.

2. And Headstones for BENTON, BROWNING, CLAYTON, CRAMP, FRIEND, GENNEY, HAMMOND, HODGMAN, HILL, HUGGIN, ISRAEL, LARKING, LING, MARLIER, MARLTON, NORCOM, AKLEY, ORBELL, PILCHER, RIPON, ROBERTS, SIBLEY, SHORT, SIMMONS, STONE, TYLER, UNDERDOWN, WOOD, WOLLET.

3.  The Present Chaplain is The Revd. Dr Nicholas CARTER. 1759.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also some Monumental Inscriptions  Noted by Zechariah Cozens about 1795, added 30th September 2008

4. Lower Deal is situated on the Sea shore a mile distant from the Church last described (Upper Deal). It is a Town of considerable extent, and is governed by a Mayor, Recorder, twelve Jurats, and twenty four common councilmen. It consists of two long streets, parallel to the strand, which contain several good inns, etc. for the accommodation of the public. About the center of the Town at the West side of it, is St George’s Chapel. A handsome structure of brick: it is plain and decent, on the outside, but sufficiently ornamented within; it was consecrated on the 18th June 1716, and cost upwards of £2,254. (See BOYS’s Sandwich, P.823 to 831, for a particular account of this town and chapel). It is very spacious and contains a gallery at each side, and two at the West end; the uppermost of which has been lately erected for the accommodation of the children belonging to the Charity School, established and supported by the voluntary donations of the inhabitants. There are no Monumental Inscriptions in it. But on a square stone within the Altar Rails is the following sentence encircling a Rose: Fear God and Honour the King.

5. On the Chandelier is: The Gift of Mr VAN KYRLE who was formerly Riding Officer Between Dover and Sandwich.

6. The Pulpit is very handsome, being much ornamented with carved work, and a Glory or nimbus surrounding. I.H.S.

7. In a turret at the East end is a Clock and one small Bell.

8. A small distance from the North end of Deal is Sandown Castle, which was built by HENRY VIII 1539 when he apprehended a visit from the Emperor, with the French King and other catholic powers, who were offended with his having shaken off the Papal Supremacy. It is composed of four lunettes and a round tower of very thick, strong, stone-work: it is encompassed with a ditch, and had, originally a drawbridge, though its present defence consists of a few pieces of cannon, which are mounted on a platform, facing the ocean.

9. At the South end of Deal is Deal Castle, built much after the same plan as Sandown, though on a larger scale, and has decent apartments within it, fitted up in a modern manner.

10. The Living is a Curacy, and the Chapel is dedicated to St. George.

11. Patron: The Archbishop. 1795. Incumbent: Philip BRANDON.
King’s Books £……./. Tenths ……./.

Index of Names and Places
Names Index
AKLEY 2
ALLEN 1
BENTON 1
BRANDON 11
BROWNING 1
CARTER 3
CLAYTON 1
CRAMP 1
DRAYSON 1
FRIEND 1
GENNEY 1
HAMMOND 1
HERVIE 1
HILL 1

HODGMAN 1
HUGGIN 1
IGGULDEN 1
ISRAEL 1
KELLEY 1
LARKING 1
LING 1
MARLIER 1
MARLTON 1
NICHOLLS 1
NORCOM 1
ORBELL 2
OTBIE 1
PILCHER 2

RIPON 2
ROBERTS 2
SHOCKLEDGE 1
SHORT 2
SIBLEY 2
SIMMONS 2
STONE 2
TYLER 2
UNDERDOWN 2
VAN KYRLE 5
WALKER 1
WOLLET 2
WOOD 2
General
Riding Officer 5