Kemsing with index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
The following is as far as possible an exact transcription of Mr L.L. Duncan's field notebook for the M.I.s in Kemsing churchyard. His notebooks written up in his shorthand, in pencil, on the site leave something to be desired. The notebooks measure 4½ x 7 inches and over time the paper has become somewhat aged but are an immensely valuable record of that date.
Frank Bamping 19 February 2000
Monumental Inscriptions in the Churchyard at Kemsing
Taken by Leland L. Duncan September 1921
1. Jane Corke wife of James Corke of this Parish died 10.3.1881 aged 28. She left 3 children, Beatrice, Augustus and Claudius Adolf. Also Sarah Walker sister of the above James Corke and widow of the late Henry Walker died 17.1.1907 aged 77. James Corke husband of the above Jane Corke died 30.1.1911 aged 71.
2. A broken stone. ..... ad issue seven.... / viz William, Sa...., Elizabeth, Tho.... / also near ..... / lieth the body ...... / Thomas The..... / who died in his ..... Footstone: T.B,. S.B. 1831 1806
3. Rebekah wife of George Lawrence of this Parish died December 28 1856 aged 64.
4. Here lyeth the body of John Fremlin son of James and Anne Fremlin who departed this life January ye 3 1725 aged 28 years.
5. Joseph Fremlin died 26 August 1748 in his 42nd year.
6. Daniel Carter died 10.10.1778 aged 62. Also Mary his wife died 19.5.1795 aged 83.
7. John son of Daniel Carter and Mary his wife died 13 May 1764 in his 15th year.
8. Sarah wife of Jesse Dyke of this Parish died 21.6.1843 aged 31. Also Jesse Dyke who died 12.3.1887 aged 78.
9. Mary Anne wife of James Reeves of Sevenoaks died 27.8.1872 aged 41. Also James Reeves died 7.3.1902 aged 76.
Dearest Parents thou hast left us.
10. Colin only child of Arthur and Frances Bridges died 15.11.1917 aged 16.
11. Thomas Dyke died 7.5.1912 aged 71.
12. John Grinstead died suddenly 19.4.1877 aged 60. For 33 years faithful servant of Samuel Rutley of West Yaldham, Wrotham, by whose widow this stone is erected. Also Harriett Moore Grinstead wife of the above died 20.10.1890 aged 77.
13. John Baker died 26.9.1826 aged 60. Also Mary his wife died 11 February 1817 aged 52. They left issue 3 sons and 3 daughters, Harriott, John, Mary Ann, Elizabeth, William and George.
14. Fanny Baker daughter of John and Mary Baker of this Parish died 20.4.1802 in her 9th year.
15. Elizabeth Harriott daughter of John and Maria Baker died 22.7.1854 aged 20.
16. John Baker died 25.4.1871 aged 78. Also Maria wife of the above died 18.5.1871 aged 79.
17. Thomas Thorp of this Parish died 18.12.1807 aged 47. Also Mary wife of Thomas Thorp died December 20 1815 aged [?59]. He left issue 2 Children, Thomas and William.
18. William Wynn of this Parish died 24.8.1788 aged 40. Also William son of William and Ann Wynn died 10.2.1773 aged 2 years.
19. Thomas Kipps of this Parish obiit December 23 A.D. 1755. Aetatis suae 72. Also Elizabeth wife of the above died 3 February 1768 aged 70. They left issue Richard and Margarett.
20. Thomas Kipps who dyed March ye 8. 1721/2 aged 66. He had issue by his wife Elizabeth daughter of Richard Wingate seaven sons and four daughters viz Elizabeth, Thomas, John, Margaret, Richard died young, William, Stephen, Mary died young, Richard, George and Mary. Elizabeth widow of Thomas Kipps died December 17.1748 in the year of her age 92.
21. Richard son of Richard & Mary Kipps died 21.1.1763 aged 59 days.
22. Mary wife of Richard Kipps of this Parish ob. May 23 A.D. 1799 aetatis suae 73. Also the above Richard Kipps ob. February ye 14 A.D. 1810 aged 80. Left issue Ann and Mary.
23. Mary Kipps daughter of Richd & Mary Kipps died 9.3.1837 aged 76.
24. John Kipps of this Parish died 6.8.1752 aged 68. Also Sarah his wife died 13.10.1731 aged 27. Also Sarah daughter of John and Sarah Kipps died January ye 9.1728 aged 11 days.
25. Sarah wife of Thomas Kipps of this Parish died 26.11.1760 in his 30th year. "Three children I have left behind."
26. Thomas Kipps late of Sevenoaks died 19.1.1800 aged 7 [?5].
27. George Kipps of this Parish died 17.7.1853 aged 60. Also Mary his wife died 21.3.1863 aged 70. Issue 3 sons and 5 daughters.
28. William Knell died 19.9.1800 aged 73. Sarah his wife died May ye 9.1807 aged 66.
29. Jane daughter of William and Sarah Knell of this Parish died July 11 A.D. 1798 aged 26.
30. Eleanor daughter of William and Sarah Knell of this Parish died 8.7.1808 aged 25.
31. An altar tomb covered with ivy.
32. Katherine wife of Richard Christopher and late wife of Richard [?Allen]. She died March 31.173 [?5] aged 77.
33. John Bennett of this Parish died 3.1.1815 aged 74. Also Sarah his wife died 20.1.1822 aged 81. They left issue 3 sons and 2 daughters, John, Thomas, Sarah, Mary and William.
34. Deleroy second daughter of William and Elizabeth Day who died 26.9.1793 aged 88.
35. William Day son of William and Elizabeth Day died December 14 1726 in her 19th year.
36. Phillis wife of Samuel Cheesman died 6.7.1850 aged 29.
37. Samuel Cheesman died 11.10.1853 aged 71.
38. Elizabeth wife of William Day who dyed June ye 22. 1742 aged 63. Also William Day of this Parish died 9.9.1733 aged 64. They had issue Elizabeth, Ann, William and Mary.
39. Mary Stewart born 25.1.1839 died 10.1.1868. James Stewart her brother born 19.8.1837 died 1.11.1874.
40. To our beloved friend Mary Hill who died 12.2.1883 aged 88.
41. In an angle West of the porch, an altar tomb. On the side ...... the body / ......../ .... Octo ... / .....1724 in the / [?] 87 year of his age. Lieth ye .... / Elizabeth ye w... / of John Hackett / .... died March ye 6 / 1720/1 aged 77 years.
On the top Here also lieth the body of Thomas Hackett the only son of John and Elizabeth Hackett who died the 20 day of January in ....... aged 67 years.
42. Thomas Palmer died 29.1.1779 aged 70.
43. Jane wife of Thomas Palmer died 9.5.1809 aged 63. Thomas Palmer late of Kingsdown died 20.11.1802 aged 63. He left widow and ten children, Elizabeth, James, Thomas, Ann, Fanny, Richard, John Alce, Robert and Julia.
44. Thomas Taylor of this Parish died 9.10.1816 aged 72. Also Ann his wife died 17.12.1821 aged 72. Issue 2 sons and 3 daughters, John Thomas, Ann, Mary and Sophia.
45. Maria daughter of Thomas and Frances Pankhurst died 9 February 1797 aged 10 months.
46. Margaret Smith daughter of John and Elizabeth Turner late of this Parish born 3.11.1805 died 31.1.1899.
47. George son of John and Elizabeth Turner of this Parish born 4.3.1808 died 14.7.1880.
48. John son of John and Elizabeth Turner of this Parish died 21.2.1803 aged 10 months. Also Thomas their son died 27.4.1814 aged one month.
49. E.T. 1867.
50. John Turner of this Parish died 11.10.1814 aged 56. Also Elizabeth Turner died 13.2.1867 in her 92nd year was the second wife of the above John Turner.
51. Sarah wife of John Turner of this Parish died 1.3.1793 aged 27. Also Charles Smith grandson of the above John Turner died at Montreal, Canada, 17.12.1868 in his 27th year.
52. Mary How wife of William How died 30.3.1765 aged 46. The above William How died 30.6.1773 aged 43.
53. Susanna wife of William French died December 25 1729 aged 44.
54. Mr John Codd of this Parish died 28.2.1747 in his 79 year. Also Mrs Margarett Codd wife of the said Mr John Codd died 21.11.1755 in her 70th year.
55. Margaret wife of John Turner late of this Parish died 25.4.1785 aged 48. Also John Turner died 16.5.1802 aged 80.
56. Here lieth ye Body of An.... s wife of ..... ?d Ro...l.. who [ ? Rooke ] departed this life February ye 2nd day 1742 aged 57.
57. John Reynolds died 2.3.1827 aged 87. Also Sarah his wife died 13.7.1824 aged 87.
58. Emily Elizabeth wife of Thomas Austin Attwood died 23.3.1889 aged 23. Also Thomas Walter their infant son died 2.8.1889 aged 4 months.
59. My dear Mother Ann Taylor died 4.7.1899 aged 75.
60. Thomas Taylor died 19.9.1900 aged 78.
61. Jane Round wife of William Round of Kemsing in Kent whoe died departed this life the sixth daye of September 1702 aged 36.
62. Jane Codd the wife of John Codd died ye 6th day of February 1691 aged 48.
63. John Codd died October ye 27 1739 aged 76.
64. Thomas Acton of this Parish died 10.12.1764 aged 50. Also Dorrothy his wife died 23.3.1809 in her 87th year. Left issue 5 sons and 6 daughters.
65. Richard Wingate died 15.3.1724 aged 87. Issue 3 sons ...........
66. Elizabeth wife of Richard Wingate died 11.5.1721 aged 88.
67. Sarah wife of William Wingate of this Parish died 15.5.1755 aged 70. Ye said William died 30.7.1755 aged 83. She left issue 3 sons and 5 daughters, William, John, Sarah, Elizabeth, Richard and Mary. [Only three listed.]
68. Richard Wingate of this Parish died 18.7.1769 aged 52.
69. Elizabeth Wingate of this Parish died 31.10. A.D. 1785 aged 72.
70. In memory of Ann wife of Richard Wallis of this Parish died 3.3.1744 aged 58.
71. John Mills of this Parish died February 16 1760 aged 52. Also Elizabeth the first wife of John Mills who died October ...... aged 22. Also to the memory ....... second wife of J....... who died December .................. Near this place ...... the issue of John ...... (decayed).
Footstones: J.M. 1760, E.M. 1742, A.M. 1746.
72. Mark Eminton late of this Parish died 5.11.1835 aged 52.
73. Thomas Eminton of Chipsted died 11.2.1857 aged 84.
74. Ann wife of Thomas Eminton of Chipsted died 14.1.1857 aged 73.
75. William Eminson late of this Parish died 11.10.1804 aged 38. Also Mary his wife died 27.6.1806 aged 33. Left issue one daughter, Mary-Elizabeth.
76. Mary-Elizabeth Eminton, daughter of William and Mary Erminton late of this Parish died 28.1.1814 aged 10.
77. William Eminton late of this Parish died 20.5.1793 aged 55. Also Sarah his wife who died 10.2.1809 aged 66. They had issue 4 sons and one daughter, William, James, Thomas, Mark and Elizabeth.
78. James Eminton late of London died 17.2.1823 aged 52. He left issue 4 sons and one daughter, James, George, John, Thomas and Letitia.
79. Elizabeth Eminton died 25.1.1848 aged 82.
80. Jenny, daughter of John and Frances Wigzell late of this Parish died 7.5.1856 in her 82nd year. Near by lie the remains of Elizabeth the daughter of William and Elizabeth Wigzell of this Parish who died 19.6.1850 aged 24.
81. John Wigzell late of this Parish died 26.1.1818 aged 78. Also Frances wife of John Wigzell died 10.2.1837 aged 88. They had 13 children born and baptized and left surviving 10 viz Stephen, Jenny, Nanny, Fanny, Robert, Sarah, George, Thomas, Elizabeth and William.
82. Elizabeth wife of Stephen Wigzell died 4.12.1829 aged 52. Also Stephen Wigzell who died 16.11.1852 aged 81.
83. William Danks late of this Parish died 28.9.1836 aged 69. Also Thomas Danks died 26.9.1848 aged 77.
84. Mary Rogers wife of John Rogers died 3 June 1722 aged 88.
85. Thomas Relph, son of Thomas and Ann Relph of this Parish died 31 May 1820 aged 36.
86 Thomas Relph of this Parish died 15.2.1831 aged 73. Also Ann his wife died 19.5.1815 aged 57. Left issue one son and 6 daughters, Thomas, Ann, Mary, Elizabeth, Sarah and Frances. [Only 5 listed]
87. Sarah, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Relph of this Parish died 11.4.1782 aged 22. Also John son of Thomas and Ann Relph born August 1. 1796 died 2.4.1797.
88. Robert Relph of this Parish died 17.6.1781 aged 62. Left issue Mary, Thomas, Sarah and Ann.
89. Elizabeth wife of Robert Relph of this Parish died 11.6.1789 aged 63.
90. Stephen Wigzell late of this Parish, yeoman, died 15.5.1762 in his 77th year.
91. Margarett wife of Stephen Wigzell died 20.8.1735 aged 40. She left issue one daughter, Elizabeth.
92. Stephen Wigzell son of Stephen and Margreat his wife died March 22.1727 aged six months.
93. I.W. Here lieth the Body of Ioane WIGZELL DAUGHTER of William and Martha Wigzell who died the 22 Day of April An no Domini 1674 W W
94. John Wigzell, Cityson and Wax Chandler of London died 27 October 1738 in his 77th year. Also Jane Wigzell sister to the said John Wigzell died 17.3.1694 aged 38.
95. Elizabeth wife of William Wigzell died 23.8.1731 aged 82. Oh I am come to be thy guest Let me in some dark lodging rest For I am weary full of pain And of my pilgrimage complain.
96. William Wigzell, yeoman of this Parish died 12 February 1724 aged 81. William Wigzell had by Elizabeth his wife thirteen children borned and baptized seven sons and six daughters - George, William, John, Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, Robert, Stephen, Margaret, Martha, Jane, Sarah and Mary.
97. M.W. Here lieth buried Martha Wigzell who died 18 day of .....y An: Domini ..... M.W.
Footstone: M.W. MDCLXIX
98. W.W. here lieth buried William Wigzell who died the 8 day of May Ano Domi 1669 aged 72.
Footstone: W.W. MDCLXIX
99. Here lieth the body of IOAME CHAPMAN widdow aged 8 [?0] years buried the 30 day of September 1666.
Footstone: 1666 Joan Chapman Widdow aged 80 years Buried the 30 day September.
100. Here lieth ye Body of Elizabeth wife of William Wigzell who dyed November 12.1718 aged 41.
101. Mary and Sarah daughters of Stephen and Elizabeth Wigzell who died October 10 1803. Mary aged 7 and Sarah aged 3 years.
102. John Wigzell, yeoman, late of the Parish of St Paul's, Deptford, son of John and Frances Wigzell of this Parish died January 23 1808 in his 29th year. He left a widow and one son John.
103. Elizabeth wife of William Wigzell of this Parish died 5.3.1867 aged 77. Also William Wigzell died 14.11.1874 aged 84.
104. Phillis Adams wife of Stephen Adams died 7.11.1782 aged 21. Also their daughter Phillis aged 8 weeks.
105. William Eve died 20.10.1766 aged 65. Dorothy his wife died 2 December 1760 aged 56.
Footstone: W.E., 1766. Footstone: D.E., 1760.
106. John Whiffen late of this Parish died 30.10.1753 aged 55. Also Elizabeth his wife died 15.4.1752 aged 49. Left issue two sons viz John and Alexander.
107. Richard Ray son of Richard and Mary Ray died 10.10.1822 aged 48.
108. Ann Ray daughter of Richard and Mary Ray died 8.5.1805 aged 22. "Behold a Virgins Doome that was to dye &c."
109. Richard Ray late of Sevenoaks died 7.7.1804 aged 57. Also Mary Ray wife of said Richard Ray died 1.8.1806 aged 55. Had issue Richard, Thomas, Mary, Ann, William and Elizabeth.
110. Rebecca wife of William Eve of this Parish died 14.1.1779 aged 46. The said William Eve died 19.10.1791 aged 65.
111. Thomas Hills of the Parish of Eltham, Kent, timber merchant, died 8.11.1821 aged 63. Also of his former wife Ann Hills who died 8.12.1806 aged 48.
112. Frances Hills relict of Thomas Hills late of this Parish died 1.5.1828 aged 63.
113. Mr Robert Burman of Bromley in Kent died 16.12.1833 aged 79. Mrs Susannah Burman his wife died 24.2.1837 aged 73.
114. Ann Wigzell wife of Robert Wigzell of this Parish died 28.1.1810 aged 30. Also the above Robert Wigzell died 21.12.1845 aged 65. Left issue 3 children, Jane, Mary and Robert. Also Elizabeth wife of the above Robert Wigzell died 9 May 1847 aged 64.
115. Robert son of Robert and Ann Wigzell died 24.6.1831 aged 21. Alfred son of Robert and Elizabeth Wigzell died 26.8.1832 aged 18.John son of the above Robert and Elizabeth Wigzell died 21.11.1832 aged 14. Thomas son of the same died 7.2.1839 aged 18 and lies in Shoreditch churchyard.
116. To my husband Murdoch Robey Grant, aged 24 of New Brunswick, Canada, died on Active Service 7.11.18
117. Ann wife of Richard Kipps after ten years lingering illness died 20.2.1873 aged 63. Richard Kipps her husband died 8.12.1881 aged 62.
118. John Kipps died 11.1.1882 aged 54. Minnie Jane Kipps daughter of the above died 30.5.1874 aged one year and seven months.
119. Charles Henry Jeffreys born 29.12.1821 died 18.2.1891. Sarah Jeffreys wife of the above died 12.3.1894 aged 69.
120 Mary second daughter of George and Mary Kipps after ten years lingering illness died 21.2.1874 aged 51.
121. Frances Kipps born 3.4.1813 died 10.12.1891. George Kipps her husband born 9.10.1815 died 18.7.1892.
122. Elizabeth wife of Thomas Kipps of this Parish died 2.10.1828 aged 38. Also Thomas Kipps died 10.1.1853 aged 63.
123. Thomas Golden upwards of 40 years a faithful servant in the family of the late Sir James Bunce, Bart. of Crowdleham in this Parish. He died October 4 1817 aged 75.
124. Sarah wife of Richard Turner of the Parish of Gillingham who died 2.11.1834 aged 52. [other half blank]
125. William Mackley of the Parish of St. Luke's, London, died 28.11.1826 aged 55. Fanny Mackley his wife born 5.8.1777 died 21.8.1864. He left a widow and one son William.
126. William son of William and Fanny Mackley of Ropemaker Street, in the Parish of St. Luke's, London, died 2.7.1856 aged 43.
127. To the children of Thomas and Elizabeth Kipps of this Parish viz Sarah who died 3.12.1821 aged 27. Harriot who died 19.5.1828 aged 11. Thomas who died 24.8.1828 aged 13. Martha who died 26.4.1849 aged 22. Susanna who died 5.6.1852 aged 27.
128. To the three children of George and Henrietta Whitlock. Rosina Ann died 6.11.1844 aged 4 weeks. Alice died 29.7.1848 aged 11 months. Alice Constance died 18.9.1849 aged 5 months.
[Note. same bit as at Brasted about 3 infants.]
129. James Holden late of this Parish died 31.3.1843 in his 63rd year. He left issue 4 sons & 4 daughters; Harriot, Hazael, Hezekiah, Heneritte, Hezro, Hareph, Herebeth and Hellen. Also Heli son of the above who died 29.8.1840 aged 30. Also Hellen wife of Edward James Cope, schoolmaster of this Parish and daughter of the above died 14.8.1853 aged 32.
130. Sarah Holden wife of James Holden died 17.12.1861 aged 84.
131. Mr George Whitlock of Dynes Farm in this Parish died 7.8.1858 aged 57. Left surviving a wife and 11 children; Louisa, Francis, George, Mary Ann, Emma, Mark, Robert, Eliza, Angelina, Augustus and William. William his son died 29.4.1861 aged 14. Henrietta wife of the above George Whitlock died 23.5.1890 aged 81.
132. Sarah wife of Hariph Holden died 13.9.1871 aged 58. William Hariph Holden died 7.5.1841 aged 7 months. Robert Hariph Holden died 5.11.1844 aged 9 months. Emily Holden died 15.1.1849 aged 5 years 9 months.
133. George Cawston husband of Emma Cawston died 23.4.1886 aged 48.
134. Emma wife of George Cawston died 3.4.1879 aged 36.
135. Emma wife of Thomas Stonham of Dynes Farm in this Parish died 29.2.1864 aged 28. Sarah-Ann daughter of the above Thomas Stonham died 15.9.1871 aged 17.
136. Footstone: S.A.S. 1871.
137. Emma Stonham wife of Thomas Stonham of Dynes Farm died 10.8.1901 aged 78.
138. Thomas Stonham, church warden of this Parish for upwards of 25 years. Born 21.10.1824 died 29.1.1904.
139. [Monument bearing coat of arms] This is the grave of Sir Mark Wilks Collet, Baronet of St. Clere, Ightham, Kent & of Antonia his wife. OB 1919 Dame Antonia Frederica Collet Nat. 27.3.1824 ob 28.4.1919.
140. Albert Alfred Bensted died 29.11.1916 aged 69. Also Alice Maria Bensted died 11.1.1918 aged 28.
141. The grave of William Rudyard many years a resident at Crowdleham in this Parish. Died 1.3.1906 aged 77.
142. Kate Johnson died 9.8.1917 aged 61.
143. Edward Hodges died 2.1.1915 aged 70. Also Rifleman Frank Austin Sherlock grandson of the above in C Company, 3rd. Battalion, Rifle Brigade. Killed in action in France 22.3.1918 aged 25.
144. William John Monson infant son of the Hon. Debonnaire Monson and Gussie his wife died 7.8.1864.
145. To my dear husband Alfred Swaisland who died 18.2.1919 aged 26. A Private in the R.A.S.C.
146. William Wren died 17.2.1911 aged 30.
147. Stephen Summers late of this Parish died 4.1.1859 aged 66. Left issue 4 sons and 2 daughters. Erected by his wife and 3 sons Thomas, Frederick and George.
148. Jane Garside wife of Jabez Larking of St. Edith's in this Parish. Died 19.8.1863 in her 24th year.
149. H.W.L. 1862.
150. Jabez Larking died 23.1.1903 aged 70.
151. Walter John May born 19.7.1879 died 7.5.1909.
152. Cleora wife of Mark Walker of Lower St. Clere died 17.4.1889 aged 57. Mark Walker, her husband died 20.12.1915. [no age given]
153. To the beloved memory of Charles Carleton Skarratt and Mary Ellen his wife. He was born 18.4.1824 and died 23.11.1900. She was born 22.6.1837 and died 2.6.1901.
154. Thomas Carleton Skarratt born 4.10.1857 and died 3.9.1908. He was vicar of Kemsing for 19 years. [There is a 2 light window in the North aisle to him with figures of St. Thomas Canterbury and St. Richard of Chichester. Also the figure brass in the chancel.]
155. Mr Robert Walter late of Greenwich died in this Parish 14.7.1863 in his 64th year. Mrs Charlotte Walker his wife died 3.11.1869 aged 67.
156. Harriot Jones wife of Douglas Jones of the Parish of East Malling died 1.12.1886 in his 87th year. Harriot elder daughter of the above died 14.5.1891 in her 73rd year. Amy Jones youngest daughter of the above Harriot and Douglas Jones died 2.10.1905 in her 62nd year.
157. Sarah Sykes wife of Robert Sykes died 16.9.1894 aged 69. Sarah Ann Sykes daughter of the above died 12.5.1910 aged 54. Robert Sykes died 7.4.1913 aged 89.
The end of the churchyard.
In the church - North aisle.
A memorial together with a coat of arms. [drawing] Ann Bunce wife of James Bunce, Esq. of this Parish and daughter of William Saxby, Esq. of Starborough Castle in Surrey. Died after a long illness 12.3.1770 aged 45. Erected by her husband.
The remaining stones in the North churchyard are all modern and of recent date.
The church when it was enlarged and the North aisle added was repaved so that no old flooring remains. There is a tablet on the South wall of the chancel but I could not see the inscription. C.1840 -I should say.
The old chancel screen has been made up into a new and very ornate one with coving, loft, Rood, Mary and John and Cherubim and the Royal Arms under the Rood - the chancel looks very "Comper-esque". It is very ornate with much oak carving and shields of arms and a great Tester over the altar,. On the floor in the centre afore the altar step is a modern brass with canopy &c to a priest - ? Mr Skarratt (No.154).
INDEX TO KEMSING MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS