A complete transcription of Vol. VII of L.L. Duncan’s manuscript notebook of Monumental Inscriptions for Hartley, Ridley, Longfield, Fawkham, Kingsdown, Knockholt High Halden and the Martin Family. The original is lodged in the Library of the Kent Archaeological Society.
Frank Bamping 2 March 2000
Inscriptions in the Churchyard at Longfield, Kent.
Taken September 1890
Mr Thomas CROWHURST son of Edward and Ann Crowhurst of the Parish of Ridley died 27 December 1801 aged 39.
2. Head Mrs Ann CROWHURST wife of Mr Edward Crowhurst of this Parish died December 31 1784 aged 53.
3. Head Mr Edward CROWHURST late of Ridley but formerly of this Parish died 23 January 1799 aged 67. Left issue one son viz Thomas.
4. Head Here lieth / the Body of / Tho. CROWHURST, yeo. / late of the Parish of / Stone in this County / he died ye 7th of March / 1747 aged 65 years / Left issue one daughter / Margaret wife of John/ PHILLIPS late of ye Parish / of Meopham.
5. Head Here lyeth Interred / the Body of / John CROWHURST / who departed this life the / 27th day of November 1724 aged 72 years.
6. Head Here lyeth ye body of Mary / the wife of John CROWHURST / of this Parish who departed / this life ye 20th of September / 1712 aged 54 years.
7. Head Catherine CROWHURST died 16 January 1802 aged 77. John Crowhurst of the Parish of Darenth died 25 October 1800 aged 71.
8. Head Mr Thomas CROWHURST died 9 March 1762 in his 36th year.
9. Head Ann CROWHURST wife of Edward Crowhurst of this Parish, yeo., died 3 March 1747 aged 46.
10. Head Edward CROWHURST of this Parish, yeoman, 24 February 1741 aged 45.
11. Head Here / Lyeth the / Body of Mary / the wife of / Edward LOFTH / who departed this / Life November ye 26th / anno domini 1715 / aged 71 years.
12. Head Mary wife of John DAVIGE late of Horton who died January 15 1772 aged 65.
13. Low tomb within iron railings John DOHERTY born 21 May 1812 died 10 April 1889. Archibald Charles Doherty youngest son of John and Elizabeth Doherty died 19 July 1878 aged 19.
14. Head Thomas SAXTON son of Robert and Margaret Saxton of this Parish died July 4 1800 aged 53.
15. Head Richard COLLINS died September 17 1862 aged 38. Also the following children of the above viz - Mary Jane died January 19 1852 aged 4 years, Patience died April 29 1853 aged 1 year, Clara died September 10 1854 aged 1 year, Walter died August 14 1858 aged 1 year, Caleb died August 21 1859 aged 4 years.
16. Head George LYNDS died November 1 1863 aged 75. Also Mary his wife died September 12 1872 aged 77.
17. Cross Edward PLUMMER who lost his life by falling into a well November 19 1879 aged 17 years.
By the East window
18. HeadLizzie Ernestine daughter of Charles Edward and Lizzie CLIFFORD died 15 October 1887 aged 30 years.
On the South side of the Yard
19. A large granite tomb - on the north side - Maria ANDRUS / of Scadbury, Southfleet, died November 23rd 1867 aged 60.
Hic subtus jacet Archidiaconus Roffensis
There is a memorial window to him in the church for which see later.
22. Head Mary WHARTON eldest daughter of Thomas and Mary Wharton of Prescott in this Parish died December 12 1858 aged 21 years and 9 months.
26. HeadSarah wife of Thomas MACE of Northfleet died 9 October 1809 aged 33. Mary his second wife died 14 July 1833 aged 53. The above Thomas Mace died 10 April 1842 aged 70. Left issue one son and one daughter - Thomas and Harriett.
27. Large altar tomb Thomas MACE of Northfleet died 17 October 1862 aged 57.
By the West end of the Church
28. Nellie NOAKES died 17 December 1883 aged 10 years.
End of Longfield Churchyard
Thorpe in the Registrum Roffense gives, at page 995, the following which are still placed as stated by him.
In the Isle [i.e. the Nave]
36. On a grave stone this inscription - Here lyeth the body of Mary Batt of this Parish who departed this life the 19th of September 1728 aged 49 years. Also Mr Robert Batt died August the 26th 1734 aged 60 years. Left issue one son and one daughter, Robert and Elizabeth.
In the North Chancel [i.e. East end of North aisle]
37. On a grave stone this inscription in Roman Capitals - Here lyeth the body of Thomas Burrow ofHartley, Yeoman, who departed this life the 17th of July 1690 aged 69 years.
A tablet of black and white marble on the north wall of the chancel -
39. Charles Edward third son of the Rev James King, Rector of this Parish born 21 June 1834 died at Baree Ryang in Australia 11 May 1853. Erected by his father.
40. A window on the south side of the nave, by the pulpit - Erected by members of the University of Cambridge -
Compiled by Zena Bamping
| Collins, 15. |
Crowhurst, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
| Jennings, 23. |
King, 34, 35, 39.
Mace, 26, 27.
| Phillips, 4. |
Plume, 21, 40.
| Darenth, 7. |
| Northfleet, 26, 27. |
Ridley, 1, 3.
| Rochester, 40. |
Scadbury, Southfleet, 19.