Sheldwich with Index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of St James Church, Sheldwich Noted by Bax & Rice April 1897
Pages 122 to 127 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches typed up by Margaret Broomfield
27 April 1897 Index of Names and Places
Interior of church
1. Tablet on the wall of S transept of grey and white marble – arms above In a vault on the East side of this chancel are deposited the remains of William HILTON late of Faversham Gent. who departed this life the 7th of February 1780 aged 68 years. Also Giles Hilton, his son by Mary his wife who died the 4th of March 1765, aged 12 years. Also the said Mary Hilton died the 8th of March 1793 aged 84 years.
NB The 3 following are on the E wall of S transept.
2. White marble tablet and urn above on black marble. In Roman caps Sacred to the memory of John HILTON Esq. late of this parish who died January 8th 1829 in the 76th year of his age. Also Eleanor wife of the above John Hilton Esq. who died December 3rd 1835 in the 85th year of her age. Longley Court?
3. White marble tablet upon grey. R. caps Sacred to the memory of Mrs. Christian HILTON who died the 5th of March 1842 aged 87 years. Longley Faversham.
4. White marble tablet upon grey on a fringed hanging drapery bearing the following inscription To the memory of Mary Eleanor daughter of John and Eleanor HILTON of this parish who died June 23rd 1805 in the 15th year of her age. Westmacott, London.
27 April 1897
Names in churchyard
5. Videon, Ellen, Gillmore, Muggleton and many others also some early stones which I failed to copy for lack of time.
6a. AJ (near the priests door) arms above (rubbed) Here lieth interr’d the body of Giles HILTON late of this parish Gent who married Elizabeth , daughter of John Law late of ys parish by whom he had issue 4 sons and 4? daughters of which 6 survived viz. John, William, Robert, Christina, Mary and Elizabeth. He died October 13th 1717 aged 63/5 years. Also interr’d lies here M…….. son Giles died November 1723 aged 25 years, 1 daughter Elizabeth died October 13 1708 aged 2 years. (more very indistinct).
6b. In the E pannel Here resteth the body of Giles HILTON Esq. late of Lords in this parish who died March 11th 1865 aged 71 years. Nothing in the other pannels, at the sides of the pannels are represented scales, bones, scythes, hour glass, cherub’s head.
7. High tomb (next to Hilton) In this vault are deposited the remains of Elizabeth wife of Stephen COOK of the parish of Oare and daughter of Giles Hilton of this parish Gent who died the 18th of December 1751 aged 35 years leaving issue one daughter. (No inscription in the other pannels). On the top are 7 lines very indistinct. In this vault are deposited the remains of Eliz ………………..
8. High tomb covered with moss and ivy (in the N pannel) Here repose the mortal remains of Charles BROOKE Esq. of London he departed this life the 22nd of May 1833 aged 73. (In the S pannel) Here repose the mortal remains of Elizabeth the wife of Charles Brooke, of London and daughter of Bonnick and Elizabeth Lipyeatt late of Faversham. She departed this life the 6th of November 1821 aged 57. Her death was sudden: reader be always prepared.
9. HS Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth COBB of Faversham eldest daughter of the late John and Mary Cobb of this parish. She died the 18th of February 1827 in the 83rd year of her age.
10. HS To the memory of Mr. John COBB late of this parish who departed this life the 29th of January 1811; aged 68 years. Also Dorothy his wife who departed this life the 11th of December 1816; aged 76 years.
11. HS To the memory of Mr. John COBB of this parish who departed this life the 3rd of December 1786; aged 78 years. Also Mary his wife who died the 18th of March 1805; aged 88 years.
12. HS To the memory of Mary daughter of John and Mary COBB of this parish who died the 10th of October 1781; aged 31 years.
13. HS behind 1st to Cobbs all R. caps Sacred to the memory of Dorothy COBB of Deal, third daughter of the late John and Dorothy Cobb of this parish. She died July 28th 1849 aged 68 years. Also Elizabeth Cobb of Deal 4th daughter of the above named John and Dorothy Cobb. She died on the 25th of March 1860 aged 77 years.
29 April 1897
14. HS Here lye the bodies of John FRIEND and Joan his wife who lived married fiftey years and had issue five sons and three daughters. He dyed ye 17 of November 1713 aged 72. She was aged 82? dyed ye 20 of June 1706.
15. HS To the memory of Elizabeth wife of Thomas RAYNER late of the Town of Faversham
who died November the 11th 1790 (or 6) aged 86 years.
16. HS Here lyeth buried the body of Anne SMITH wife of James Smith of Oare in the county of Kent yeoman and doughter of John Laws of Sellwidge in the said county yeoman who departed this life the 24 day of February 1711/12 and left issue two daughters viz. Elizabeth and Mary.
17. HS with cherub’s head and good scroll work To the memory of John HUMPHRY and Mary his wife of this parish. He died 12th January 1777 aged 73 years. She died 20 December 1755/72 aged 73 years. Also near this place lies two of their children viz. William and Mary. William died 27 December 1769 aged 39 years. Mary died 17 October 1766 aged …… years.
18. HS To the memory of Thomas HOWTAND of this parish who died the 18th of March 1813, aged 84 years. Also Elizabeth his daughter by Ann his wife died the …….. of June 1771 aged ……. years. Leaving issue one son and six daughters viz. William, Mary, Elizabeth and Sarah, Frances and Susan. Ann Wife of the above named Thomas Howtand died the 23rd of May 1831 aged 83 years.
19. HS To the memory of William HOWTAND of the ………… departed this life the ….. September 1796 aged …….. years. Also of Elizabeth wife of the above William Howtand (?Howland) who departed this life …… November 1816 aged 78 years.
20. Flat stone To the memory of Thomas HOWTAND of this parish who died ………… 1777 ……… lies ……… Howtand in this y……… ………….second wife Elizabeth Humphr…… John ……. Ben……… died the 29 of November 1763 aged 80 years. [There is further inscription].
21. HS Here lyeth the body of Elizabeth FILLMER daughter of Robart and Ann Fillmer who departed this life June the 10th 1720 (sunk).
22. HS To the memory of John READER late of the parish of Throwley, Blacksmith. He died 24 January 1780 aged 66 years. Also Mary his wife she died April 1st 1764 aged 60 years. Likewise Ann Maria their daughter who died September 9th 1759 aged 16 years.
23. HS To the memory of John VIDEON of this parish, who departed this life on the 5th of August 1826 aged 28 years. Also Jane Videon who died June the 13th 1835 aged 32 years and Charles the infant son of the above John Videon.
24. HS all caps. In memory of John VIDEON of this parish who died January 4th 1863 aged 93 years also Maria Videon daughter of the above died August 27th 1864 in her 64th year. In memory of Mary Ann wife of John Videon of this parish who departed this life on the 1st of May 1835 aged 65 years. A sudden change I in a moment fell, I had not time to bid my friends farewell. Think nothing strange, death happens unto all. My lot? today, tomorrow you may fall.
25. HS Here rests in the hope of a blessed Resurrection Sarah wife of Charles VIDEON of this parish who departed this life May 7th 1860 aged 70 years. Oh sacred source of everlasting life, Conduct the weary wandered in her flight. Direct her onward to that peaceful shore when peril, pain, and death, prevail no more. Also the above named Charles Videon who died September 15th 1861 aged 67 years.
26. HS (all caps) In memory of Frederick Videon who died January 3rd 1843 aged 38 years. Also Anna Maria daughter of the above who died October 9th 1846 aged 3 years and 9 months.
27. HS To the memory of John ROUSE the house carpenter who for hard labour and honesty left none to exceed him. He was 78 years in this world and departed the 9th of June 1769. A wits a feather and …. cheat’d a rod. An honest Mans the noblest work of God. Also Thomazin wife of John Rouse who died the ……. day of January 1786 aged 88 years.
28. HS Cherub’s head, scull and bones In memory of John BURTON blacksmith of Bal………… who departed this life the 3 day of March 1793 in the 23rd year of his age. [There is further inscription].
COBB 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
HILTON 1, 2, 3, 4, 6a, 6b, 7
HOWTAND 18, 19, 20
VIDEON 5, 23, 24, 25, 26
| Places Index |
Faversham 8, 9, 15
Longley Court? 2
Longley Faversham 3
Oare 7, 16
Westmacott, London 4
Blacksmith 22, 28
house carpenter 27