Dymchurch with index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed Pictures of Dymchurch church and churchyard
Monumental Inscriptions at St Peter & St Paul Church, Dymchurch
Noted by L. L. Duncan, date not known, but after 1919 at least.
Typed up by Dawn Weeks February 2002
In the churchyard – south west
265. William BURK died 29 August 1774 aged 81. Elizabeth his wife 21 September 1727 aged 27. Elizabeth daughter of William Burk by the said Elizabeth died 22 November 1727 aged 10 years.
266. David BURK died 17 February 1727 aged 26.
267. Samuel FINN born 17 November 1817 died 25 March 1832.
268. Sophia wife of Stephen FINN died 16 October 1860 aged 72. Stephen Finn died 26 September 1868 in 85th year. Sophia Finn eldest daughter of late Stephen Finn born 23 July 1808 died 8 April 1886.
269. Thomas ASHDOWN Junior died 20 March 1880 aged 46.
270. James JORDAN died 24 (?January) 1784 aged 30. ………………………
271. Thomas ASHDOWN died 21 October 1885 aged 79 Susannah his wife 14 August 1878 aged 72.
272. Edward ASHDOWN died 8 March 1899 aged 60. James Ashdown 29 December 1882 aged 44.
273. Martha wife of Robert COURT died in Guy’s Hospital London 18 October 1866 aged 63.
274. Robert COURT died 9 March 1881 aged 85.
275. Mary wife of Thomas DRURY died 13 October 1835 aged 26. Also of her 3 children Thomas 8 February 1851 aged 8 months.(year or age do not seem to make sense). Mary died 28 November 1854 aged 21 years Sarah died 22 June 1867 aged 36. Erected by her sister Sarah CORNELIONS.
276. Thomas third son of Robert and Martha COURT of this parish died 6 December 1866 aged 34.
277. James and Catherine ELLIOTT husband and wife born 22 June 1834 and October 16 1833 died 2 February 1882 and 24 April 1897.
278. Rosina Emily ELLIOTT died 30 April 1917 aged 76.
279. Reginald Henry ELLIOTT died in Jamaica 19 October 1865 aged 26. Alfred Elliott died 3 February 1856 aged 19.
280. James ELLIOTT died 6 March 1879 55 years Expenditor of Romney Marsh. Louisa wife of James Elliott died 27 August 1866 aged 38. Mary wife of James Elliott died 22 July 1848 aged 46.
(These last 4 stones are in the same enclosure).
Western part of the yard
281. Charles SIMS son of Richard and Jane Sims accidentally killed at London Bridge 7 December 1879 aged 23.
282. Charles KEELER died 4 July 1857 aged 28.
283. Ann daughter of Thomas and Mary WADDELL of this parish died 29 May 1823 aged 19.
284. Thomas WADDELL late of this parish died 18 April 1821 aged 57. Left surviving by Mary his wife one son and 5 daughters viz: William, Mary, Jane, Elizabeth, Sarah and Eliza.
285. Mary WADDELL died 29 January 1838 aged 65. (From Peter Waddell 2009-06-03 - Mary was born Mary Catherine Griegsby in 1773 and would have been 65 in 1838.)
286. William son of Thomas and Mary WADDELL of this parish died 28 January 1827 aged 33.
287. Sarah wife of Stephen CHEESEMAN died 11 July 1819 aged 57. Left issue 6 children: Rose, Sarah, Stephen, William, John and Angilica.
288. Sarah, wife of William LORDEN died 10 February 1842 aged 58. Left issue 8 children. Also William Lorden died 2 October 1866 aged 85. William Che.[Cheeseman] died 8 April 1846 aged 39; Stephen died 11 March 1837 aged 28; Sarah; Jesse died 14 August 1847 aged 33; Charles died 11 May 1832 aged 15; Jonah; Lewis Thomas; James Henry.
289. Thomas MARSHALL died 15 January 1849 aged 45 leaving a wife and one son: Thomas.
290. Ann wife of Henry LORDEN died 2 June 1804 aged 35. She left surviving 5 children: Thomas Henry, Elizabeth, Sarah and John. Four children died in their infancy are buried here.
291. John SHEFFIELD died 28 August 1776 aged 49. Left issue by Mary his wife one son: Thomas.
292. Mary TOLHURST 11 April 1879 aged 57. John Tolhurst 17 March 1881 aged 65.
293. Edith COBB born 29 April 1862 died 12 April 1869.
294. John HOAD died 3 April 1880 aged 61.
295. Mary wife of Samuel CLARKE died 26 April 1742 aged 31. She left issue by ye above 2 daughters: Mary who died 18 December 1728 aged 2 and lies here interred and Mary. Here also lies Mary Clark (sic) the relict of the said Samuel Clark of this parish who died 4 July 1774 aged 57.
296. Georgiana only child of Thomas HALLOWES a lieutenant in the Royal Navy by Ann his first wife. She was born at Aix Department Rouches du Rhone in the Kingdom of France 19 July 1821 and died at Dymchurch 23 November 1840. Also of Ellen COLEMAN …… (Footstone ECH 1844).
North part of yard
297. James SMITH died 29 May 1864 aged 50. Charles Henry his son 13 September 1861 aged 17.
298. George VIRGOE of this parish died 20 November 1747 aged 52. Mary his wife 16 February 1770 aged 73.
299. William PARRIS only son of Robert Parris 29 January 1837 aged 84. Susannah his wife 8 December 1838 aged 81. (Note: William Parris of Dymchurch in 1794 issued a ½d token "Romney Marsh").
300. Robert PARRIS died 12 September 1729 aged 52. Left issue by Ann his wife 3 sons: Thomas, Robert, George.
301. Eliza wife of William HUCKSTEP eldest daughter of Thomas and Sarah Ann PRYER of this parish died 28 August 1872 aged 22. Leaving 2 daughters Florence Emily born October 20 1870 and Louisa born 4 October 1871.
302. Margaret wife of Thomas WILLIAMS of this parish died 30 October 1789 aged 30. Thomas Williams died 30 December 1804 aged 54. Issue 3 sons and 2 daughters: William, Thomas, Stephen and Charlotte and Jane two of whom are deceased viz: Stephen and Jane and are buried here. Left Elizabeth his second wife surviving by whom he had one son: John.
303. Daniel AUSTEN died 20 January 1781 aged 57. Issue by Mary his first wife: Elizabeth, Daniel, William, Richard, Margreat, John and Mary; and by Mary his second wife Susannah, Jeremiah, Sarah, Lydia and Esther. Also near lies Susanna by Mary his first wife and by Mary his second wife Thomas and Edward.
304. George PRYER husband of Martha Pryer died 22 May 1887 aged 62. Leaving issue Thomas, Mary Ann and Annie-Eliza. Also George Pryer died 15 July 1863 aged 4 months 18 days.
305. Nathaniel HUNT died 3 January 1781 aged 40. Left issue by Elizabeth his wife, 2 sons: Nathaniel and Leonard-William. Elizabeth, relict, died 31 December 1820 aged 76. Also William DINES, son of above Elizabeth by a former husband, who died 5 March 1825 aged 55.
306. Nathaniel HUNT of this parish died 7 June 1777 aged 59. Also Jane his wife died May ye 24 1773 aged 68. Also Mary wife of Nathaniel Hunt son of the abovesaid Nathaniel Hunt by Jane his wife died 12 May 1774 aged 31. Also the bodys of three of the said Nathaniel Hunts children by Mary his wife viz: Jane died ye 21 May 1769 aged 7 months, William died 7 June 1770 aged 6 months; John died 29 March 1774 aged one year.
307. Edward FRIND of this parish died 20 April 1782 aged 49.
308. William CAISTER died 24 February 1821 aged 84. Left issue surviving 2 sons and 2 daughters: Mary, Thomas, Elizabeth and John.
309. (Footstone next 308) CSC 1813.
310. Thomas BOURNE late of this parish died 23 January 1832 aged 79. Elizabeth his wife 9 January 1833 aged 80. Issue eight children of whom are surviving Thomas, Robert, Elizabeth, Mary and Ann.
Eastern part of the yard
311. Mr Richard CHAPMAN who was drowned 22 August 1725 aged 33.
312. Solomon PEPPER husband of Mary Ann Pepper died suddenly 26 June 1874 aged 55.
Slip by south of chancel
313. George HORNE of this parish died 26 December 1793 aged 51.
314. Ann ye wife of George ROBINS died October ye 4th 1730 aged 33. Left issue Mary and John. Also John Robins son of George Robins by Ann his wife died December ye 22, 1730 aged 1 year 2 months.
315. Thomas MAYLAM died 14 February 1779 aged 42. Elizabeth daughter of above Thomas Maylam by Elizabeth his second wife died 1 July 1791 aged 17. Elizabeth Maylam died 2 July 1820 aged 79.
316. (Sundial) by John THWAITES, London 1806.
Slip west of porch
317. Edward LUCKE January ye 8th 1732 aged 44. "Weep not for me, my wife and children dear etc (the right half of this stone is blank).
318. Judeth wife of William CLARINGBOULD died 28 June 1805 aged 36. Left 5 children: Lidia, Elizabeth, William, Thomas and Ann.
Stones to south of church (beginning at path to porch and going eastwards)
319. Edward BLAKE junior, Chief Officer in the Preventive Service who was unfortunately drowned by the uplifting of a boat on the North River near Yarmouth in Norfolk 17 October 1820 aged 26.
320. Jane wife of Edward BLAKE died 10 December 1802 aged 35. Left issue 5 children: Thomas, Mary, Edward, Jane and Sarah.
321. Edward BLAKE died 16 August 1847 aged 82.
322. Thomas BLAKE died 25 September 1874 aged 85. Mary Ann his widow 3 November 1874 aged 87. Thomas Trevillon Blake eldest son of above 10 November 1884 aged 72. Jane his wife 27 March 1886 aged 64. Ellen Maria daughter of above Thomas and Mary Ann Blake died while on a visit to Liverpool 20 August 1888 aged 69.
323. Jane Slodden wife of George HAIGH Esq, Solicitor, Liverpool and eldest daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann BLAKE of this parish died 2 January 1848 aged 31, leaving an only child: George Thomas. Also the above George Haigh died August 1877 aged 63 and is interred at St Luke’s Great Crosby, Lancashire.
324. Alfred Blake RONALDS died 1 December 18(?25) aged 6.
325. Blake Vincent DRAYNER died 19 May 1833 aged 11 months.
326. Elias SMITH of this parish, Gentleman, one of the Jurats and 6 seperate (sic) times elected Bayliffe of this Level died 8 March 1777 aged 62 and left issue surviving by Jane his wife one daughter: Jane.
327. Jane wife of William BUNN died 27 August 1786 aged 52.
328. Richard LAKE Gentleman, 24 years a Riding Officer of His Majesty’s Customs died 8 August 1764 aged 53.
329. John NABBS died 15 August 1848 aged 22, leaving one daughter: Mary Ann the wife of Thomas BLAKE of this parish.
330. Rhoda Ann wife of Edward Coleman DRAY, Veterinary Surgeon of Leeds, Yorkshire and youngest daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann BLAKE of this parish, died 11 October 1858 aged 56.
331. Edward John, youngest son of Thomas and Mary Ann BLAKE of this parish died 17 November 1861 aged 46. Left issue by Caroline his wife an only daughter Jane Slodden. The above Caroline died 21 May 1863 aged 46.
332. Julia RUNALDS of Hythe died 16 March 1863 aged 80. Edward Hubday eldest son of John and Mary Runalds died 6 March 1874 aged 58. Mary wife of John Runalds of Hythe died 26 December 1860 aged 67.
333. Mary wife of Mr Jeremiah WRAIGHT died 17 July 1791 aged 25. He died 21 January 1816 aged 72.
334. Elizabeth wife of William SINDT, 24 March 1799 aged 29. Had issue 7 children, 3 died in infancy. Left surviving William, Mary, James and Edward.
335. Stephen SLODDEN died 6 March 1804 aged 29. Left surviving Margaret his wife and three sons, Stephen, John and Richard.
336. Charles HOLMES died 11 June 1848 aged 26.
337. Louisa Holmes, daughter of John and Mary Ann CAISTER died 20 October 1846 aged 6 years 9 months. Also Charles Thomas eldest son of above died 23 November 1846 aged 5 years.
338. William HOLMES died 26 May 1847 aged 65 leaving surviving Ann his wife, 3 sons and 3 daughters. Ann his relict died 12 January 1860 aged 71.
339. Mary wife of Leonard HUNT died 23 June 1885 aged 58. The above Leonard Hunt died 20 January 1898 aged 80. Also 3 children: Leigh Coleman died 23 January 1863 and Walter Edmund 28 April 1866 who died in infancy and Leonard William 2 August 1879 aged 19.
340. Leonard William HUNT died 21 July 1856 aged 55. Had issue by Hephzibah his wife 13 children. Hephzibah relict of above died 12 April 1861 aged 71.
341. Elizabeth HUNT died 29 April 1886 aged 72. William 1 September 1827 aged 4 years. Ellen 18 September 1827 aged 6 months. Hephzibah 8 July 1828 aged 16 years. Amy 17 August 1828 aged 12 years. Children of Leonard William and Hephzibah Hunt.
342. Edward FOX, 8 January 1784 aged 41. Susan his wife 12 June 1816 aged 73.
343. William MAYLAM, Gentleman, died 5 August 1830 aged 64.
344. John only son of Robert Tilbey and Mary GUTSOLE of this parish died 7 September 1831 aged 24.
345. Thomazine ye wife of John SMITH of this parish Gentleman, one of ye Jurats of Romney Marsh died ye 6 March 1722 in ye 34th year of her age and had issue 3 sons and 6 daughters: Mary, Anne, Elias, Judith, Mary, Elizabeth, John, Martha and John. The Said Elias and Judith ……..……………………….
346. Judith wife of Mr William BUNN of Hythe died 23 June 1774 aged 58.
347. Thomas TEARALL died March ye 28 1777 aged 56. Left issue by Elizabeth his wife one son and 3 daughters: Thomas, Ann, Elizabeth and Mary. Near lie 2 more of their children viz William and Mary.
348. Henry HOLMES died 27 December 1865 aged 55 leaving surviving Margaret Ann his wife.
349. Philip KNIGHT 17 August 1734 aged 45. Left issue by Mary his wife one son Philip.
350. William LYON died July ye 29, 1739 aged 82. Mary his wife June ye 7 1733 aged 54 (the dates and ages are quite clear).
351. Richard WRAIGHT of Burmarsh one of ye Jurats of this Marsh and 3 times chosen Bayliffe of ye same died 11 December 1733 aged 46. Issue by Mary his wife 5 sons and 3 daughters (the other half of the stone is blank).
352. Mr Edward COLEMAN late of this parish twice Bayliffe of Romney Marsh aged 58 years who died 15 March 1717. To whose memory Mary his wife and relict caused this headstone to be left and also his son Philpott Coleman who died May ye 3rd 1716 aged 20.
353. Mrs Mary COLEMAN widow of Mr Edward Coleman late of this parish died 17 October 1728 aged 65 and left issue one daughter and two sons.
354. Edward COLEMAN died 20 June 1735 aged 31.
355. Philpot COLEMAN died 13 September 1815 aged 72. Also Susanna his wife died 9 July 1816 aged 70.
356. (An old large headstone face down).
357. Sarah wife of Henry HOLT died 2 July 1867 aged 73. Henry Holt died 17 June 1876 aged 86.
This ends the inscriptions in the old yard. Those in the modern annexe are not included.
Inscriptions in the church
358. (In centre of chancel floor) Here lieth interred the body of Mr Francis ROGERS of this parish who was 12 years a Private Dragoon and 13 years a Serjeant in ye army in ye reignes of King William ye 3rd, Queen Anne and King George ye 1st. In which time he was in severall campagnes in Spain, Portugal and Flanders and in regard of his faithful service iIn the army was afterwards made a Riding Officer of his Majesty’s Customs and stationed at Dymchurch and confirmed in that port 15 years there and at his own request was superannuated 5 years before his death and was in all 45 years in the Governments service. During all which time he behaved with fidelity to his Prince and country and by his courtesy and good behaviour gained so good a reputation as to be respected and esteemed by all who knew him. He departed this life the 15 day of February 1738 in ye 66 year of his age.
359. (Flat stone in chancel, north side) Here lieth ye body of John FOWLE of this parish, Gentleman, an attorney at law who departed this life on ye 12 day of January 1753 aged 56 years. He left issue two sons and two daughters. The deceased was ye elder son of John Fowle, Gentleman, late of this parish who succeeded his said father in ye office and place as Clerk to ye Lords of Romney Marsh. Which place he enjoyed and continued in for 24 years to ye time of his death. Ye said John Fowle was a Gentleman born, had a gentlemans education and his behaviour was such during his ……………. beloved and respected by all mankind …………….. and esteemed by all who had any manner …………… with him. He was a tender father, a …………. husband and a sincere friend where he …………. By his own industry he acquired a handsome fortune which he left to his wife and children. Reader who’er thou art I pray draw near And to this tomb afford a friendly tear Weep not for me but think ye time will come When you must reach this everlasting home Strive to correct then all your follies past And think that every hour may be ye last.
360. (Mural, chancel) To the glory of God and in loving memory of the Reverend Charles Eaton PLATER MA for 30 years Rector of this parish died 6 October 1906 aged 82. This tablet and in institute in the village were erected by parishioners and friends. RIP
361. (Flat stone, south side of chancel partly under choir stalls) In memory of Sarah …………. / the Reverend Mr ……….. / Rector of th…………… / who died Ju……….. / aged 5…………. / Also / the said Rev…………. / BA who …………. / aged 64. (Note this is probably that referred to by Hasted as "in the chancel within the rails a memorial to John RAISBACK AB obt 15 February 1787
362. (On south wall of nave) Arms, erm. an eagle displayed gules impaling arg. a lion guardant crowned sa. which may be intended for Handfield. Near this place lieth interred Captain Timothy BEDINGFIELD and Mary his wife. He gave all his lands lying in St Marys, Woodchurch and Liming towards the education maintenance and bringing up to learning of such poor male children of such poor parents who do no receive parish releife or alms out of any parish stock and which parents are of the Church of England by law established, and do frequently communicate therein and that such children every one of them be kept to learning and sent to one of the Universities of Oxford or Cambridge if capable or put out to trade. And that the said poor children shall be taken out of ye parishes of Dymchurch, Liming and Smeeth or some one of them and five shillings a peece unto two poor women of the said parishes for ever to be paid on the 25th day of December after they have received the sacrament according to the Church of England and not otherwise. He died November ye 20, 1693 aged 50 years. She died July the 7, 1714 aged 80 years. John HANDFIELD of Ashford has this erected in memory
of his aunt and godmother.
363. (Brass) In memory of Commander W STERNDALE BENNETT RNVR DSO, who died 7 November 1917 aged 24 years of wounds received in action near Ypres. Erected by the Officers, NCOs and men of the Drake Battalion which he so ably commanded.
364. (Mural, north aisle) Arms, a chev between 3 garbs impaling a cross moline or flory between 3 (?crowns) In memory of Thomas BLAKE of this parish who died 25 September 1874 aged 85. He was 23 years in succession Bailiff of Romney Marsh. Also of Mary Ann his widow who died 3 November 1874 aged 87. They had issue 5 children: Thomas Trevillon; Edward John (who died 17 November 1861 aged 46) leaving one daughter Jane-Slodden); Jane Slodden (wife of George HAIGH of Liverpool died 2 January 1848 aged 31 leaving one son George Thomas); Ellen Maria and Rhoda Ann (wife of Edward Coleman DRAY who died without issue 11 October 1868 aged 36. He left benefaction of £5 on Christmas Day to 10 poor people.
365. (War memorial cross) for Dymchurch and Eastbridge Names: Ernest AUSTEN, Charles Vince BALKWILL, John Balkwill, Walter STERNDALE BENNETT, Charles Louis BEALE, Simson Beale, Alfred Edgar HOPER, Arthur Hoper, Herbert and James KEMP.
Index of names and places