Churchyard East portion round Church.
12. . Head stone, body & foot, with cherubs much worn: In Memory of Joseph ……/Gent departed this Life …………………./Jane GROVE? ……./Octr. 2 1775 Agd. 60. Mr ……MAIR Grandson of …………../GROVE Gent ……../.
13. . Double headstones with body stone: Sacred to the Memory of William MAIR (of this Parish) Who departed this Life the 7th of January 1800 Aged 81 Years. Also Margaret Wife of the above William Mair who departed this Life the 27th of February 1778 Aged 58 Years. Left Issue Three Sons & One Daughter (viz.) James, William, Philip & Mary. Also William Son of the above who died April the 2nd. 1806 Aged 48 Years. Mrs Mary CLEMENTS, Daughter of the above Died 5th Octr. 1828 Aged 66 Years. Mr William Clements Died 20th Octr. 1829(?) Aged 70 Years.
In Memory of Patience, Wife of Mr John WILSON who departed this Life September 23rd 1847 after a long and painful illness in the 60th Year of her Age.
14.  Headstone, black with face poorly cut: In Memory of Elizabeth, Daughter of John & Ann MONK of this Parish who departed this Life June 2nd. 1772 Aged 10 Weeks. Mrs Elizth WHEELER departed this Life March 31st 1776 Aged 60 Years. Picture
At back, crumbling: …..M.mory of …../RRELL……..Di……./4th 1823 ./Aged 77 ...ars/. ..so …./of the above …………/1st 1811 ……/RS…/FT/ISS/……..o Daughters Willi…/…..ah & Mary.
15. . Headstone with body s. skulls & other carvings, very worn: Here lieth the Body of Mr James DUNSTON one of the Jurats of the Corporation who departed this Life N../ 4th 17../Aged 70 Years. Also Mary his Wife departed this Life August 19th 178./Aged 90 Years and ../Months.
16 . . Headstone, low: Erected to the Memory of Joshua ELKIN of this Parish who departed this Life the 1st of May 1815 Aged 58 Years. Also Jane his Wife who departed this Life the 20th of December 1845 Aged 80 Years.
17. . Head and footstone: In Memory of James HARISS who departed this Life June the 28 1784 Aged 38 Years. "When God ……/ and of Life ………./& wise"/. …………../WADFIELD? ……………./March 1819………./.
18. . Head and footstone, low: In Memory of Elizabeth Wife of Geoe MACKAY who died Dec 2nd 1803 Aged 37 Years. Also Elizabeth MARTIN Daughter of the above and Wife of William READ who …………/ Aged 30 Years. Also William STEDMAN Died March 17th 18../ Aged ./Years.
19. . Altar tomb. Inscription on top much crumbled: Here lyeth the body ../Mary …../William …../Died 19 N../……../Henry HUGESSEN …./2 Oct 17../….BASE Died 29th Sepr …./John DONMALL of the Parish of Milton departed this Life the 3rd of …./Aged 55 Years. Mr John D(onmall) late of Northfleet, Son of the above who departed this ..fe the 29th of December …./Aged 44 Years. West end: In Memory of Ann RICHARDSON who died 17th December 1840 Aged 86 Years. East end: In Memory of Sarah HENNEY who …../1857 Aged 76 Years.
20. . Altar tomb repainted, top blank: East end: Sarah MURRELL died the 25th of May 1776 Aged 37 Years. Edwd Murrell died the 21st of May 1777 Aged 39 Years. Also Jencey (sic) daughter of the above died in her Infancy. West end: To the Memory of John GOLDSMITH who died the 28th of May 1809 Aged 68 Years. Also Mary Goldsmith who died the 15th of Novbr 1813 Aged 81 Years. North side: Thomas KNIGHT (Citizen of London) died the 27th of February 1809 Aged 48 Years. Also Five Children who died in their Infancy. Mrs Anna Maria CLUTTON died the 8th of March 1813 Aged 44 Years. Sarah Wife of Thomas Knight died the 1st of May 1838 Aged 72 Years. South side: Sarah Elizabeth Knight died the 25th of April 1868 Aged 75 Years. Also Thomas Knight Husband of the above who died the 27th of August 1878 Aged 73 Years.
21. . Head and body stone, with cherubs & vase: In Memory of John TAYLOR who departed this Life the 9th of June 1787 aged 9 Years. "Sleep on dear Youth and take your rest/For God takes first how he thinks best". Also Mr John Taylor died the 20th of May 1803 Aged 59 Years. At back of stone: Elizabeth, Wife of Richard Taylor d. 17 Oct. 1850 Aged 66. Emma their daughter d. 4 Oct. 1829 Aged 2. Picture
22. . Head and footstone against Church: Mr Richard TADMAN d. 8 Feb. 1847 Aged 61. John Tadman d. 4 Oct. 1822 Aged 17. Sarah Tadman d. 4 June 1827 Aged 26. Maria Tadman d. 1 Aug. 1830 Aged 20. Louisa Tadman d. 11 Dec. 1836 Aged 39. Elizabeth Graham BECK neice of the above d. 5 Dec. 1847 Aged 13. Elizabeth Tadman d. 14 Ap. 1863 Aged 57.
23. . Head and body stone with cherubs & emblems: In Memory of Mary wife of William SWORDS and daughter of John and Sarah BAKER of Gravesend. She died September 30 1775 Aged 60 years. Also Mr Willm Swords Husband to the above died Septr ……………/. Picture
(Jill Foster 22-11-2014 The MI mentions the Death of William SWORDS, the husband of the above Mary. William was a Providore in Chadwell Essex when he died in September, 1783, and only months after he had married Mary WILSON there by Faculty Office Licence, some months earlier. By this time Mary and William had three children named Mary, William and Isaac who were baptised in Chadwell St Mary with the name William SWORDS as the "reputed father". William snr is buried in Chadwell St Mary even though his name appears on his wife's MI in Gravesend. I have William's Will signed by himself and written as SWORDS variously SOWARDS.
24. . Altar tomb with iron railings, E & W sides blank probably writing on latter: Top: Mr Walter NYNN died Novr 21st 1775 aged 61 years. North side: Sacred to the Memory of Mary, wife of Jeremiah DENNETT who departed this Life February 27th 1826 Aged 48 Years. John, son of the above died August 21st 1807 Aged 14 Months. Also William who died April 1st 1810 Aged 21 Months. Likewise the above Jeremiah Dennett who departed this Life December 11th 1842 Aged 71 Years. South side: Sacred to the Memory of Elizabeth CARTER who departed this Life September 8 1831 Aged 65 Years.
25. . Altar tomb. Inscription on top: Sacred to the Memory of …../Dennis DELAP …./Late Drewer? ……(3 lines) William Delap (abt 12 lines hopeless). South side: All that was mortal of Mary the wife of John Delap is deposited beneath. The immortal Part is ………/Thro the Merits of a ……ied Redeemer/To Him who gave it/This Separation took Place 14 of May 1779 After a Union of 6./ Years. North side: Here resteth the remains of Mrs M. RICHARDS Wife of Mr R. Richards of London and daughter of the late Mrs Delap who departed this life September 8th 1828 Aged 51 Years. West side: Also Mildred JOLLY Neice of Mild RICHARDS and daughter of Wm & Sarah EVERSFIELD of this Parish who died Septr 2nd 1831 Aged 30 Years. East side: ……/versfield …./10th…./…..Ye…../the above…../7th…. years. ………/field/………ve/………1861/.
26. . Headstone with flat stone: "Family Vaults of William NEWMAN". Emily Ann, daughter of above d. 11 Feb 1861 Aged 16. Alfred Dunkin, son of above d. 10 Jan 1862 Aged 19. Sarah Ann, wife of above d. 8 Aug 1868 Aged 54. Sarah Laura, daughter of above d. 23 March 1871 Aged 20. Annette, daughter of above d. 20 July 1872 Aged 19. William Vosper, son of above d. 2 Oct 1871 Aged 35. "Interred in the Gravesend Cemetery". On north side of flat stone: Sarah Ann, wife of William Newman d. 8 Aug 1868 Aged 54. South side: William Newman who was 60 years Vestry Clerk of Gravesend died 3 August 1906 in his 93rd Year.
27. . Head and body stone: Infant Children of William & Rebecca TURNER of this Parish (viz) Rebecca, Thomas Mathews, Ann Mathews, & Jane Bromley. Ann Mathews their daughter d. 26 July 1849 Aged 13. Mr Thomas MATHEWS d. 13 Aug. 1822 Aged 67. Rebecca Wife of William Turner d. 30 Oct. 1826 Aged 55. William Turner d. 18 July 1834 Aged 63. William Turner their son d. 5 July 1869 Aged 65. Harriot his wife d. 18 Ap. 1884 Aged 74.
28. . Headstone lying flat, figure emerging from coffin: only "Memory" visible.
29. . Headstone lying flat, fragment of X bones visible: ………….y/of Thomas ………le/of this Parish)………./of April 1743 Ag../.
30. . Flat stone: STARBUCKS Family Vault.
31. . Headstone against wall of Church with Cherubs heads: In Memory of Ann SOLE Wife of Robert Sole. She departed this Life Novemr 2nd. 1766 Aged 56 Years. "Farewel vain World I have had enough of thee/And now I am careless what thou sayest of me/Your Smiles count not nor your frowns I fear/My cares are past my head lies quiet here/…..see in me take care to shun/…………………../.
32. . Head and body stone: In Memory of Mr Isaac COOK who departed this Life the 22nd of March 1791 Aged 50 Years. Also six of his Children who died in their Infancy. Also Richard Dockin Cook, Son of the above died January the 10th 1799 Aged 28 Years. Mr George WALLACE died the 20th of November 1812 Aged 59 Years.
33. . Headstone flying flat: Sacred to the Memory of Mr William CRAFTER Senr, 37 Years Superintendant in the Military Communication Gravesend, 14 Years Ruler of Pilots. Died 1 of December 1830 Aged 78 Years. Also Mary Jane, Wife of Mr William Crafter Junr Royal Engineer Department died 22nd of December 1826 Aged 43 Years.
34. . Head and foot stone: Emma Day TYLER d. 26 Nov 1884 Aged 58. William Edward Tyler d. 25 June 1902 Aged 77. "Thy Will be done". Picture
35. . Head and foot stone: Mary Wife of John RAWLLINGS d. 29 Jan. 1854 Aged 79.
36. . Head and foot stone: Maria, Wife of William PENNIFER d. 17 June 1851 Aged 55.
37. . Head and body stone, low and crumbled: …………/Memory of ………………/ELLIS who ………/ptr/1749……….Aged ../Years. Also Eliza ……/daughter/…………….obt. 1753.
38. . Head and body stone, with skull & book: …/the Memory of ……../who departed this Life the ……./1760 Aged 50? Years. Also Susanna GOLDEN who departed this Life the 8th October 1787 Aged 56 Years. Likewise John Gol…/…/departed this Life …/December 180./. At back of stone: Sacred to the Memory of Thomas Crafts Golden who departed this Life Sept. 24th 182./Aged 64 Years. Also Thomas Crafts GOLDEN, Son of the above who departed this life July 10th 1827 Aged 41 Years. Picture
39. . Headstone: Amelia Heron ROGERS, Daughter of William Heron & Mary Rogers who departed this Life the 21st of June 1812 Aged 21 Years. Also to the above William Heron Rogers who departed this Life the 18th of March 1834 Aged 62 Years. Likewise the above Mary Rogers who departed this Life the 7th of April 1836 Aged 69 Years.
40. . Head and foot and body stone, Cherubs heads, much obscured by elder tree: In Memory of Mr Nicolas BULLER of this Parish who died Decr ye 2nd 1718 Aged 65(?) Years. Also Mrs M. Buller his Wife who died Sep……/Aged 6./.
41. . Head and 2 footstones: William, son of William & Hannah HALL of this Parish d. 19 Aug. 1835 Aged 22. Laura Elizabeth their daughter d. 10 July 1844 Aged 17.
42. . Head and 2 footstones, one undated with only "T.B" on it: Cherubs, crown etc: Sacred to the Memory of Thomas BARKER who died June 29th 1832 Aged 53 Years. Picture
43. . Altar tomb, elaborate. Top & ends apparently blank. North side: Mrs Frances EYRES died 9th March 1807 Aged 68 Years. South side: Mr Thomas GYLES died 28th November 1805 Aged 63 Years. Mrs Mary Gyles, Wife of the above died 12th Aug. 1812 Aged 76 Years. Mr William Gyles died 9th December 1821 Aged 49 Years.
44. . A coffin shaped stone inscription, if any, quite gone.
45. . Head stone, very crumbling: Sacred to the Memory of Mrs Margaret ANNAL, Wife of Mr John Annal, who departed this Life the 4th day of October 1833 Aged .2/Years. [4 lines of epitaph illegible]. Also Elizabeth Annal, Daughter of the above Died 17th December 18../Aged 1 Year and 5 Months. Likewise the above Mr John Annal who died 19th September 184./Aged 44 Years.
46. . Head and footstone: John TOLHURST d. 29 July 184? in his 46th Year. Hannah A.A. Tolhurst, Wife of the above (interred at Northfleet) d. 13 July 1881 Aged 79. Picture
Keith Field 2009-04-01 reports that in the Church Register, available to view on CityArk, John Tolhurst is recorded as being buried 1 August 1849, age 47.
47. . Head and footstone: Joyce, Wife of James FOX d. 2 March 1828 Aged 38. A loving Mother and a virtuous Wife/Faithfull and Just in every part of Life. James Fox d. 7 Jan 1851 Aged 64. John their Son who died in his Infancy.
48. . Altar tomb, elaborate, nearby a slab with "Entrance to the Vault" on top: The Burial Place of Nathaniel GYLES. South side: Frances Gyles, Daughter of Nathaniel & Prudence Gyles died 23rd April 1808 Aged 21 Years. Prudence Gyles died 1st April 1809 Aged 55 Years. Nathaniel Gyles died 7th July 1817 Aged 69 Years. Lawrence James Gyles, Son of Nathaniel & Prudence Gyles died 25th Novr 1817 Aged 27 Years. North side blank. East, probably an inscription. West about 12 lines undecipherable, only "John &" visible.
49. . Headstone (black) lying flat: Sacred to the Memory of Philip DADD who departed this Life the 9th of October 181./(broken off) Aged 68 Years. Also Millecent, Wife of the above who departed this Life the 13th of May 1783 Aged 50 Years. Likewise Rebecca PASTE, Sister to the above who departed this Life the 15th of October 1788 Aged 49 Years. Also Seven Children of the above by Ann his Second Wife who died in their Infancy. Picture
50. . Head and body stone: Edwin, Son of Edwin & Sara ALDERMAN of Barbican, London, d. 27 July 1838 in his 18th Year.
51. . Altar tomb, inscription on top, longways: …../to the Memory of Mary, Wife of Richard Fisher BARTON departed this Life 27th January 18../Aged 57 Years. Also Richard Fisher Barton who departed …./Life the 18th of October 1810 Aged 48 Years. Left …../Ja/…..R/……./.
52. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Sarah, Daughter of the late John & Elizabeth KETTLEWELL …………….../who departed this Life …../Aged ../.
53. . Headstone against Church near South door, with skull & crossbones: Here lyeth the Body ../Mary BLEAK the wife of Wm Bleak of this Parish who departed this Life one ye 6th day of July Anno Domi 1707 in the 28th Year of her Age. Picture
54. . Body & footstone, headstone gone. On footstone: J.M. 1792. S.M. 1802. A.M. 1803. J.A.M. 1842 or 3. (Gravesend Burial Reg. 1792, Apr 6: James MARSHAL. 1802, Mar.6: Susanna Marshall. 1803, Oct.23: Augustus Marshal)l.
55. . Headstone, small, put with 43 but evidently not belonging to it: Eliz. YOUMON(?) 1726.
56. . Headstone against Church wall: Here lyeth buryed ye body of An..………………./Agust ye ……………ye great mortality 1666 Aged 4./yeares. Mary MATHEWES her Daughter who departed this Life 27 of March 1660 aged 3 months.
57. . Tablet fixed to West wall of Church, right hand side of West door: In a Vault beneath rest the remains of John Gladdish, Son of William & Elizabeth SANDERS who died the 1st of May 1848 Aged 28 Years. Also the above Mr William Sanders, many years Surgeon in this Parish who died the 15th of October 1849 Aged 68 Years. Also Charles, Son of the above who died March 1st 1879 Aged 57 Years. Also Elizabeth, Wife of the above who died Decr 1st 1879 Aged 89 Years. "The Gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord". Picture
58. . Tablet near last on West wall: Here no envy swells. C. SLOANE Nat. 1690, Mort. 1764. M. Sloane, Nat. 1697. Mort. 17../. (left blank). Picture
59. . Tablet on West wall, left hand side of West door: In a Vault below lies interred the Body of Elizabeth, Wife of Thomas PATTINSON. She died the 27th day of August 1779 Aged 59 Years. Also the Body of Elizabeth Harman, Daughter of the said Thomas and Elizabeth Pattinson who died the 24th day of July 1784 Aged 7 Years. Also the Body of the said Thomas PATTINSON who departed this Life on the 9th day of December 1785 Aged 60 Years. Likewise Sarah, Wife of Samuel HAZARD, the daughter of the above Thomas and Elizabeth Pattinson who departed this Life the 21st of October 1796 Aged 36 Years. Mr William Pattinson who departed this Life the 10th of January 1804 Aged 37 Ywars. Mrs Anne Sarah Pattinson, Wife of the above died the 17th of July 1822 Aged 54 Years. (This line recut over another inscription).
60. [48a]. Tablet near 59  on West wall: somewhat worn. Forty feet from this vault are deposited the remains of Mr Samuel HAZARD of this parish who departed this life October 20th 1837 Aged 83. Also Rebecca Ann Dashwood HAZARD second wife of the above who departed this life May 24th 1818 Aged 56. This tablet is erected to their memory by their nephews Samuel, George HOLDING & Charles RICKARDS
South part of Churchyard beginning on left hand side on entering by East gate.
61. . Obelisk on stone base, inscription on latter. North side: Elith THOMPSON departed this Life 18th August 1774 Aged 55 Years. West side: …/Body of Mrs Sarah MAY died ../August…./ed/ 45(?) Years. South side: In Memory of ……./THOMPS|ON died ../April/..70/Aged ../.
62. . Obelisk on base, Inscriptions on both. North side of obelisk: In this Vault are deposited the Bodys of Geor, Geor, Willm, Elizh, Geor, Elizh, Thos, Mathews & Robt Coales ARNOLD, Sons & daughter of Geor and Ann Arnold of this Parish who died in their Infancy. East side of obelisk: Also Sarah Ann Alfred John Henry Edward & Sarah Ann, infant children of Robert Coles and Sarah Arnold. West side: James Arnold died June 17th 1832 Aged 41 Years. Inscription west side of base of Mont: Mrs Ann MATHEWS, Wife of Mr Thomas Mathews who died April the 29th 1804 Aged 72 Years. Also the above Mr Thomas Mathews who died 28th Jany 1819 Aged 93 Years. North side: In Memory of the above Mr Geor ARNOLD who departed this Life the 28th of July 1813 Aged 62 Years. Also the above Mrs Ann Arnold who departed this Life the 6th of January 1832 Aged 79 Years. East side: In Memory of the above Robert Coles Arnold of Heath House, Barming, Kent who died 14th May 1866 Aged 69 Years.
63. . Head and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of Gaynam, son of George & Mary RACKSTRAW of who died the 12th of January 1800 Aged 17 Years. Also Mary Bumstead WOOLLEY, daughter of the above & Wife of George Woolley (of London) died the 27th of January 1801 Aged 24 Years. Near this place lieth 2 sons & 2 daughrs of the above George & Mary Rackstraw. Also Mary Ann, daughter of the above died Jany the 7th 1802 Aged 14 Months. Likewise the above George Rackstraw who died the 22nd of June 1804 Aged 50 Years. Also Mr. Philip BUMSTEAD who died the 24th of November 1806 Aged 82 Years. Likewise Mrs Bennett Bumstead, wife of the above Mr Philip Bumstead died May the 28th in the Year 1813 Aged 92 Years. On the other side of stone: Sacred to the Memory of Philip Jeremiah Rackstraw who died the 10th of September 1812 Aged 2 Years. Mary Wilson RACKSTRAW, Wife of the late George Rackstraw died March 25th 1823 Aged 68 Years. Also Josiah Wise Rackstraw, Son of the above Mary Wilson and Geoe Rackstraw who died January 1st 1839 Aged 48 Years. Ann Rackstraw, Wife of Benj Geoe Rackstraw died September 19th 1847 Aged 62 Years. Benj Geoe Rackstraw died October 19th 1847 Aged 59 Years. Picture
64. . Altar tomb with railings. Coat of Arms & inscription on top: It is appointed unto Men once to die but after that the Judgement. Heb:9Ch.: 27v. Here lieth Buried the Remains of Elizabeth the Wife of Robert WATTERS who died Octob. the 3rd in the Year of our Lord 1755 Aged 49 Years. Also five of her Children Elizabeth, Ruth, Richard, Eleanor and Alicia. Mr Robert WATTERS died Augt 28th 1768 Aged 66 Years. Also to the Memory of John Willm BOWYER who was unfortunately drowned May the 29th 1801 Aged 15 Years. South side: Sacred to the Memory of Elizth Wife of Robert CABLE who died 9th of December 1817 Aged 47 Years. "O cruel death that would not spare/A loving Wife and Friend sincere/Took Her away left me behind/The World to lay and Friends to find".
65. . Head and footstone: Hubert, Son of Henry & Martha EVERSFIELD d. 14 May 1836 Aged 4¾ Years. H.W., Son of the above d. 18 Feb. 1850 Aged 22. Picture
66. . Head and body stone: Thomas PIPLER d. 20 Sep. 1829 Aged 37. Elizabeth, Wife of John Pipler Senr d. 29 Ap. 1830 Aged 78. John Pipler d. 3 May 1835 Aged 83. John eldest Son of John & Elizabeth Pipler d. 29 Dec. 1847 Aged 63. Picture
67. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of Harriot Maria, Daughter of Robert & Charlotte RANDELL who departed this Life the 3rd of January 1808 Aged 15 Months. Picture
68. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of John CORMACK, a Pupil Teacher in the Gravesend and Milton National Schools who died January 21st 1853 Aged 19 Years. Beloved and Lamented by his Master, Schoolfellows and friends.
69. . Head and footstone: Jemima, Wife of William WALDRON d. 20 Feb. 1854 Aged 67. "Here the wicked cease from troubling and the Weary are at rest".
70. . Altar tomb, north side: Thomas KILLICK of this Parish d. 12 Ap. 1829 Aged 58. Elizabeth Ann his widow d. 29 Nov. 1851 Aged 75. Thomas their son d. 25 Mar. 1842 Aged 31. East side on white marble cut into stone: Thomas Beale LOFT d. 18 Aug. 1870 in his 75th Year. "His trust was in the Lord. His end was peace". Mary his wife d. 1 Mar. 1880 Aged 70. "In blessed hope – Waiting for Jesus Christ". (This also on top with exception of text after Mary Loft). West side: Thomas Beale Loft d. 12 May 1893 Aged 59. "Hold thou me up and I shall be safe".
71. A body stone here, no headstone.
72. . Head and footstone: Richard HATFIELD d. 17 Feb. 1840 Aged 55.
73. . Headstone with large inscription fast crumbling: Sacred to the Memory of Sarah CANE, Wife of John Cane of this Parish who departed this Life April 18th 1840 Aged 28 Years. Also Ann, Daughter of the above who departed this Life July 25th 1839 Aged 6 Months. Likewise Clara who departed this Life August 6th 1840 Aged 4 Months and 3 Weeks.
74. . Head and footstone & flat stone, carving of tree on tomb, crumbling: Sacred to the Memory of Laura Hannah, Daughter of William & Elizabeth WEBB who departed this Life the 19th October 1839 Aged 11 Years. She was an a…../and an affectionate Child. Also Hannah Webb, Mother of the above Willm Webb who departed this Life the 4th of August 1843 Aged 75 Years. Also to the poignant grief of her parents and deep regret of all who knew her Elizabeth Ann, the only surviving daughter of William & Elizabeth Webb who departed this Life the 1st of August 1847 Aged 21 Years. "The Lord gave & the Lord hath taken away blessed be the name of the Lord". Also deeply lamented William John, eldest son of the above William & Elizabeth WEBB who departed this Life the 26th of July 1850 Aged 21 Years. …l/be done".
75. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of William Samuel TISDELL, Son of Samuel and Harriot Tisdell who departed this Life the 3rd of July 1808 Aged 4 Months. Also Eliza Bromley Tisdell their daughter who died the 10th of January 1813 Aged Ten Months. At back of stone: Sacred to the Memory of Elizabeth, daughter of John and Catharine SHEPARD of West Smithfield London who departed this Life the 16th of January 1820 Aged 22 Years. Picture
76. . Headstone, tall with body stone. Eye with rays carved: Erected to the Memory of Mr Henry SWINEY who died July 23rd 1783 Aged 35 Years. Mrs Elizabeth Swiney, Wife of the above who died Decr 28th 1805 Aged 58 Years. Elias Swiney, Son of the above Henry and Elizabeth Swiney who died April 3rd 1786 Aged 5 Years. Hutchinson Swiney who died in her Infancy. Mr Elias PULLEN who died August 16th 1758 Aged 68 Years. Mrs Mary Pullen, Wife of Mr Elias Pullen who died June 21st 1743 Aged 47 Years. Mrs Elizabeth HUTCHINSON, Relict of the above Mr Elias Pullen who died Decr 1795 Aged 86 Years. Elias Pullen died April 5th 1825 Aged 74 Years.
77. . Head and footstone, only G.M. on footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Mr George MARSHALL who departed this Life the 6th April 1811 Aged 46 Years. Also Three Children who died in their Infancy. Also Esther Marshall, Wife of the above who departed this Life the 14th July 1848 Aged 79 Years. "Far from the world of toil and Strife/They’re present with the Lord/The Labours of their mortal Life/End in a large reward".
78a. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Samuel WINNETT who died January 13th 1812 Aged 45 Years. PART MISSING
79. . Head and footstone: Mr Thomas ANSTED Born 4th July 1791. Died 6th March 1843. Picture
80. . Head and body stone: Mr Isaac STARBUCK d. 23 Oct. 1837 Aged 67. Elizabeth, Wife of William WATERS d. 15 Aug. 1854.
81. . Headstone: To the Memory of a beloved son Lieut. G.W. ELLISON, R.N. who died at the early age of 19. The Afflicted Parents Capt Joseph Ellison, R.N. and his wife Hester have erected this Stone. He was affectionate and brave. The whole Tenor of his Short life evinced his affection and As a Lieutenant of H.M. Ship Melampus in the memorable defeat of the French Squadron near Tory Island on the 12th of Octr 1798 He gave a Manly and applauded Proof of his Bravery. Obt Jan. 27th 1801.
82. . Altar tomb very low. Inscription on top all in capitals: In full hope of a glorious Resurrection all that was mortal of Mrs Sarah STYLES is here deposited who during a life short for its value was in the exercise of every Christian virtue that could adorn human nature. She lived 43 Years and Died 12th of May 1796. Augustine Styles, Gent formerly of the Hon. East India Company’s Service died the 24th of June 1821 Aged 86.
83. . Headstone with skull: …/the Memory of M……………/W……../.
84. . Head and footstone ornamented: William MADDOCKS d. 23 May 1835 Aged 72. Mary his Wife d. 9 Jan. 1847 Aged 78. Elizabeth, Wife of Mr George LOWREY daughter of the above d. 10 Dec. 1867 Aged 71. George Lowrey Esqr J.P. of the City of Rochester d. 6 Oct. 1878 in his 85th Year.
85. . Head and 2 footstones: (1) "T.T. 1846". (2) "T.T": Thomas TURNER d. 24 Sep. 1846 Aged 69.
West portion of Churchyard from wall on the South to railings on North.
86. . Head and footstone: William Robert, son of Joshua & Jane Sarah WRIGHT d. 18 May 1835 Aged 9. Josuha Alexander, Son of above d. 9 May 1839 Aged 3. "The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away, Blessed be the name of the Lord".
87. . Head and footstone: Alexander GUNN d. 9 Aug. 1834 Aged 65. Christian his Wife d. 9 June 1851 Aged 75. (Text crumbled away).
88. . Head and body stone. Urn & Cherubs: In Memory of Richard K………../who departed …………/September ……………/Aged…./uell D………./.
89. . Altar tomb, low stone slab on red bricks: In this V…./are deposited the remains of Mrs Elizabeth DREWRY, Wife of Mr George Drewry of this Parish who departed this Life Octr 15th 1816 Aged 17 Years. Also 3 of their Children Harriet, John and George. Likewise the Remains of Mr Will(ia)m ROWE who departed this Life Sepr 27th 1848 Aged 52 Years.
90. . Altar tomb, fine one near West door, inscription on top, sides blank or crumbled away: Mrs Rebecca DALTON Died the ../Sepr 1761 Aged 25 Years. Mr Daniel WATMORE Died the 16th July 1776 Aged 70 Years. Thomas Dalton Esq. of Milton died 1st July 1796 Aged 73.
91. . Headstone with body stone, Cherub etc. crumbling: In Memory of William TWISS of this Parish who departed this Life February 21st 1776 Aged 29 Years. Also of Sarah, Wife of the above who departed this Life July the ../Aged 37 Years. Picture
92. . Double headstone with body stone, Cherubs etc: In Memory of William TWISS departed this Life November 19th 1766 Aged 66 Years. "Affliction sore longtime I bore/Surgeons were in vain/Till God at last by Death d…/To ease me of my pain". In Memory of Ann Twiss, Wife of William Twiss, Departed this Life the 11th of January 1769 Aged 57 Years. "Rest with a Cheerful Mind that ?/A …./Mother and a Faithfull Wife/…./as thy Praise oh drop one silent …./…../what pleasing hope lies buried …."/. Also five of his Children ……./. Picture
93. . Head and body stone: Isabella only daughter of the late James DREW Esqre of Clifton Gloucestershire d. 2 Nov. 1839 in her 16th Year. "Nippd in the bud so beautiful and good/Her blessed Spirit now rests with her God".
94. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of John S…../……../1780/ ……….13 1790 Aged 64 Years. William, Son of the above on June the ../178./Aged 17 Years. ……../Son of the above/ ober/the 23rd 1797 Aged 30 Years. Also Joseph, Son of the above died August the 2nd 1800 Aged 28 Years.
95. . Head and body stone, blackened as if by smoke: Sacred to the Memory of William PURNELL of this Parish who departed this Life September the 7th 1794 Aged 25 Years. Also Ann, Wife of the above departed this Life 8th of April 1802 Aged 33 Years. Likewise Mary Purnell, Wife of James Purnell died the 23rd of September 1815 Aged 57 Years.
96. . Head and body stone: Sarah, Wife of Alfred SPAIN of his Parish d. 5 July 1846 Aged 23. Charles Alfred their Son died in his Infancy.
97. . Headstone: Charles PANNELL d. 30 Aug. 1850 Aged 49. Mary Ann, dau. of the above d. 13 Nov 1839 Aged 13. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord".
98. . Head and footstone, with flat stone, fast crumbling away: Sacred to the Memory of Henry FORRESTER who departed this Life June the 22nd 1840 in the 42nd Year of his Age. Also Mr William Forrester, Father of the above who departed this Life March 30th 1853 Aged 76 Years. Also Mrs Mary Forrester his Wife and ……./of the above who departed this Life December the ../18../Aged 58 Years and 10 Months.
99. . Low Altar tomb, stone slab on yellow bricks: George CLEMENTS late of Worcestershire d. 15 June 1849 Aged 29. "Death is certain, Lifes but a Span,/Prepare to meet thy God O Mortal Man".
100. . Head and footstone in front of No.81: Joseph LORD d. 1 Aug. 1817 Aged 77. Ann, Wife of the above d. 30 July 1825 Aged 84. Also two Children of James and Anna CLARK. Picture
101. . Head and body stone: Elizabeth, Wife of Mr John WILLIAMS of 6 Great Sutton Street, Clerkenwell, London d. 8 March 1836 Aged 38. Also three of her Children: John Joseph d. 9 Aug. 1820. Thomas d. 11 Oct. 1823. Wesly Macpherson d. 3 Sep. 1835. Also Mrs Mary MITCHELL, Mother of the above d. 17 Jan. 1837 Aged 67. John Turner Williams d. 31 May 1842 Aged 13 Yrs. 6 Mos. (the only late surviving Son of the above). "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away/Blessed be the name of the Lord".
102. . Head and footstone, very worn: …………../W………/died ………/17../Aged../…ard, Son of the above Edward and Sarah HA…./who died June ../Aged ./.……../…../ander/……./.
103. . Head and footstone with body stone. All surface of headstone flaked off, the last surname looks like BORREL: The footstone has: W.F. 1825. T.D.G. 1826. J.P. 1831. T.?. 18.5. H.B. 1836.
104. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of Charlotte KNORR who departed this Life the 12th of October 1801 Aged 13 Years. Also Charlotte CLAY, late of Danbury in the County of Essex who departed this Life the 8th of June 1821 Aged 54 Years.
105. . At back of stone, probably the front: Sacred to the Memory of John GOLDSMITH of this Parish, who departed this Life the 18th of April 1810 Aged 37 Years. Also Elizabeth, Daughter of the above who died the 11th of October 1801 Aged 3 Years. Likewise William, his son who died the 11th of May 1803 Aged 4 Years. And John who died an Infant. "The Path of Wisdom I too long forgot/And to remiss the one thing needful sought/Till in affliction Schooll I learn to prize/That which on Earth so often we despise/Load with Pain and longing after rest/Christ heard my Prayer and ……."/.
106. . Head and footstone with body stone with raised stone band on it: Mary Ann, Wife of Edmund ALDERSLY d. 26 Jan. 1828. Aged 29. Footstone: J.G. 1810. M.A.A. 1828. (J.G. refers to John GOLDSMITH [No.103]).
107. . Head and footstone: Mary Ann, Wife of James RAGEN of this Parish d. 7 August 1844 Aged 55. "Faithful and true a treasure each alone/A Wife a Mistress and a Friend in one/Rests in this Tomb raised at thy Husbands cost/He sadly summing what he had and lost".
108. . Head and footstone painted black: Mary, Daughter of John and Mary ARNOLD d. 21 Sep. 1825 Aged 3 years. Also Thomas & William who died in their Infancy. Emma TOLHURST d. 19 June 1850 Aged 1 yr & 9 mos. John Arnold d. 28 July 1852 Aged 59. Mary his Wife d. 13 May 1865 Aged 67. Interred in the Cemetery. Picture
Keith Field 2009-04-01 reports that in the Church Register, available to view on CityArk, Emma ARNOLD above is recorded as Emma Arnold TOLHURST. There was possibly an error by Colyer-Fergusson when recording the inscription.
109. . Head and body stone with Cherubs & Shell: In Memory of Will …../departed this Life D…../17.5/…..S…../39/Likewise of three Children…..
110. . Headstone: In memory of Benjamen TURNER who departed this Life 13th of January 1787 Aged 59 Years. Also Esther his Wife, Who died March the 10th 1795 Aged 76 Years. Also Harriet CROSTHWAITE, the Wife of William Crosthwaite of this Parish & Daughter of the above. Died 8th December 1842 Aged 58 Years. "Whilst in this World I did/My …………./But……….the Lord/He took me to H….."/.
111. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of Sarah, Wife of Thomas MILEHAM who departed this Life the 21st of May 1815 in the 26th Year of her Age. Also Four Children of the above Thomas, Ebenezer, Thomas and William who died in their Infancy. Also Elizabeth, Second Wife of the above Thomas MILEHAM who departed this Life the 19th of April 1837 in the 40th Year of her Age.
112. . Head and footstone and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of Catherine LEIGH, younger Daughter of Revd. Richard SYMONDS and Mary Joynes who died January 11th 1848 Aged 25 Years. Also of Mary, Widow of the Revd. R.S. JOYNES, D.D. Rector of this Parish who died November 26th 1848 Aged 56 Years. Also of Elizabeth, Widow of Mr John BAKER of Frindsbury and Mother of the above Mary Joynes, who died at Gravesend March 28th 1851 Aged 79 Years.
113. . Head and body stone, very indistinct: Sacred to the Memory of Willi../B…../who died the 2./October Aged 76 Years. Also Jane, Wife of the …../who died August the ……/g/.
114. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Jane BARNES, Daughter of John and Elizabeth Barnes, who departed this Lie the 3rd of Decbr 1810 Aged 6 Years. Also John Bates Barnes who died the 10th of October 1816 Aged 52 Years. Also Elizabeth, Wife of the above who died the 21st of November 1820 Aged 53 Years. Elizabeth ARNOLD, Daughter of the above died the 6th of July 1826 Aged 27 Years. Likewise Jeffrey John Barnes, Grandson of the above who died the 29th April 1830.
115. . Altar tomb, fine specimen in good preservation: Top: Sacred to the Memory of Elizabeth CRUDEN, Wife of William Cruden who died November 17th 1805 Aged 73 Years. George Cruden, Son of the said William & Elizabeth Cruden who died April1 19th 1808 Aged 41 Years. William Cruden who died November 13th 1809 Aged 76 Years. John Cruden who died July 9th 1813 Aged 47 Years. Robert Peirce Cruden who died October 30th 1847 Aged 72 Years. Frances Cruden, Widow of the above who died April 24th 1875 Aged 89 Years.
North side: In this Vault are deposited the Mortal Remains of William MAY Esquire, Consul General in Great Britain for the Kingdom of the Netherlands, who died August the 9th 1827 in the 69th Year of his Age. In office distinguished by his extensive Knowledge and enlarged views of the Commercial Relations between States and in private life honoured and beloved for his endearing social virtues. Maria Herminia, Relict of the above William May Esqr who died Novr 4th 1847 in the 87th Year of her Age. South side: Here rest the remains of the undermentioned Children of Robt Peirce CRUDEN & Frances Cruden, viz: Sophia, born May 16th and died May 17th 1820. Harriet died Jany 11th 1821 Aged 2 Years & 3 Months. James died August 4th 1821 Aged 6 Years. Henrietta died July 24th 1826 Aged 15 Months. William May died June 11th 1830 Aged 17 Years. James died April 21st 1848 Aged 27 Years. Also Maria Cruden, born March 27th 1817, died May 7th 1909. Picture
116. . Altar tomb, in good state, sides blank though probably have been inscribed. Top: Henry THAMES, Gent, Died March 22nd 1769 Aged 68 Years. Also Jane Thames, Wife of the Above Henry Thames who died May 27th 1779 in the 62nd Year of her Age.
117. . Head, foot and body stone. This other next two under large elder tree: Here Lieth the Remains of John HAZARD who died February 13th 1738 Aged 60 Years. "Omnia ex voluntate Dei". Also Mildred his Wife who died May 11th 1751 Aged 67 Years. Samuel Hazard Junr who died October 20th 1837 Aged 83 Years. Likewise Rebecca Ann Dashwood Hazard, Second Wife of Samuel Hazard who died May 24th 1818 Aged 56 Years.
118. . Head. foot and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of Samuel HAZARD who departed this Life December 8th 1775 Aged 56 Years. Also Elizabeth, Wife of the above who died December 13th 1789 Aged 80 Years. In the adjoining Grave lieth the Remains of Rebecca Ann, Wife of Samuel Jazard Junr who departed this Life the 24th of May 1818 Aged 56 Years.
119. . Head and footstone with enormous body stone: Here Lie the Body of Mildred SARMON, Daughter of John & Mildred HAZARD who departed this Life the 2nd of February 1791 Aged 69 Years.
120. . Head and body stone, with Cherub & Emblems: In Memory of Robert PAINE of this Parish who departed this Life Feb. the 21st 1771 Aged 50 Years. Also two Sons and three Daughters. And William MARSHALL who died September 10th 1805 Aged 50 Years. Likewise Ann Marshall, Wife of the above who died October the 15th 1806 Aged 45 (?) Years. On the other side: Sacred to the Memory of Thomas SIMMONS who departed this Life April 25th 1829 Aged 33 Years. Also two daughters of the above who died in their Infancy. Also Mr William Paine who departed this Life 7th November 1835 Aged 79 Years. Also Frances, Wife of Mr William Paine who departed this Life 28th August 1848 Aged 88 Years.
121. . Head and footstone, very faint: Sacred to the Memory of Mr John BAUCKHAM who departed this Life the 29th of August 1831 Aged 68 Years. Also Sarah, Wife of the above who departed this Life the 29th of July 1850 Aged 82 Years. Also Ann, Wife of Charles Bauckham who departed this Life the 10th of June 1835 Aged 32 Years.
122. . Headstone against South wall, with Skull, hour glass etc, quite illegible.
123. . Headstone next last: In Memory of Eliz……./fe/Edward ADA../of June 1798(?)./Also ………./the above ……../Aged ../Years and …../Edward…../viz: M………./(several lines quite gone).
124. . Head and footstone: James WALTER of this Parish unfortunately drowned 5 Aug. 1841 Aged 51. "When God cuts off the thread of Life/Then fatal Death parts Man and Wife". Henry William Walter d. 4 March 1853 Aged 4. James GOLDSMITH, grandson of above d. 4 Aug. 1842 Aged 6 mos. Joseph Goldsmith d. 11 June 1853 Aged 8 Yrs & 6 mos.
125. . Head and footstone, much worn: Richard GARDNER d. 18 Mar. 1836 Aged 67. Sophia, Wife of James LUKES d. 14 Sep. 1844 Aged 56. Jane Elizabeth, Wife of Richard Gardner d. 17 Aug. 1848 Aged 64. James Lukes d. 20 July 1854 Aged 71. Jesse Lukes d. 17 Dec. 1854 Aged 68.
126. . Altar tomb, low under elder tree: Here Lieth Interr’d with Severall of his Children the Body of William LANCE, Gent, One of the Jurats of this Town who died 13th August 1741 Aged 59. Also Mrs Mary READ who Departed this Life April 6th 1768 Aged 66. Also the Body of Mrs Mary LANCE, Wife of Mr William Lance, One of the Jurats of the Corporation, who departed this Life June the 21st 1790 Aged 61 Years.
127. . Head, foot and body stone. Inscription all in Capitals: the names recently reblacked: Sacred to the Memory of Mary, Wife of Robert GEALE of this Parish, who died August 28 1749 Aged 52 Years. Also of the above Robert Geale, died the 29 of April 1752 Aged ../Years. Likewise Mary, wife of John LANE, Daughter of William & Isabella Geale of this Parish, who departed this Life the 4 of November 17../…./Years. This Stone is also to his Child to the Memory of Mary, Daughter of John Lane who died ……………/Also to the above John Lane ………………/…………../………./of Mary Amy LLOYD who departed this Life ………./Aged 18(?) Y…./& 4(?) Months. Footstone: M.G. 1749. R.G. 1752. M.L. 1774. M.L. 180./. J.L. 180./. M.A.L. 184./.
128. . Altar tomb. Inscription on top: To the Memory of Mr William WILSON who departed this Life September ../1772 Aged 70 Years. Mrs Elizabeth Wilson Died November 29th 1774 Aged 69 Years. Also thirteen of their Children. Mrs Mary LACONHAM, Mother of the above Elizabeth Wilson departed this Life December 12th 1750 Aged 78 Years. Samuel Smith KITE died in his Infancy. Mrs Mary Kite departed this Life October 24(?) 1771 Aged 64 Years. Also the Body of Sarah Wilson who died the 10 of July 1778 in the 8th Year of her Age. Mr John Kite departed this Life the 29 of December 1779 Aged 76 Years. Mr Samuel Kite departed this …./the 4 of May 1782 Aged 46 Years. South side: Mrs Mary SMITH departed this Life February the 2nd 1791 Aged 90 Years. East side: Mr George WILSON died No. 28 179./Aged 66 years. North side: Mrs Sarah Wilson, Wife of Mr George Wilson died the 18th of March 1811 Aged 67 Years. West side: illegible.
129. . Head and body stone: Martha, Wife of John CRAFTER, a daughter of John & Alice SLOPER, d. 17 Jan. 1815 Aged 23. Likewise three children of John & Alice Sloper d. in their Infancy. John Sloper d. 18 March 1840 in his 73rd Year. Alice his Wife d. 6 Oct. 1840 Aged 76. John NIGHTINGALE who married Alice, daughter of John & Martha Crafter d. 23 Dec. 1849 Aged 40.
130. . Headstone, small & blackened: Here Lieth the Body of Sarah, the Daughter of Richd & Sarah FENNINGS who died ye 19 June 1768 Aged 6 Months. Also Phillip their son died 15 Novbr 1769 Aged 7 Months.
131. . Headstone, crumbling: In Memory of Mary EVEREST, Wife of George Everest of this Parish who died September 13th 1779 Aged 44 Years. George Everest died June 6 1785 Aged 47 Years. Also two of their Children. Also Mary ELLEY who died July 29th 1840 Aged 38 Years. Likewise two of her Children who died in their Infancy.
132. . Headstone, footstone buried: Sarah, Wife of George PATTISON d. 9 Ap. 1838 Aged 58. George Pattison d. 19 Oct. 1846 Aged 71. George Pattison their Son d. 19 Dec. 1836 Aged 24. Picture
133. . Headstone, footstone buried: Hannah HONEY of Trigon Road, Lambeth in the County of Surrey, d. in this Parish 6 Sep.1849 Aged 73.
134. . Low slab raised, next railings North churchyard: "The family Grave of David PAUL".
135. . Headstone, footstone buried, in crumbling state: Sacred to the Memory of William, Son of William & Deborah L….//../who was unfortunately drowned in the River Thames the 19th of July 1825 Aged 19 Years.
136. . Headstone: In Memory of Mary Ann, Wife of Thomas FISHER who departed this Life 18th of June 1815 Aged 27 Years. Also to the above Thomas Fisher who died the 8th January 181 Aged 36 Years. And two of their Children, Charles Becket died 13th February 1810 Aged 2 Years 11 Months. Thomas died the 5th May 1813 Aged 9 Months.
137. . Headstone: Thomas UPTON of this Parish d. 17 Feb. 1838 Aged 45. a blank follows. Also the Undermentioned Children of the above: Thomas d. November 13th 1821 Aged 4 Months. John d. January 26th 1823 Aged 2 yrs & 6 mos. Elizabeth d. February 5th 1824 Aged 5 yrs & 7 mos. Ann d. August 28th 1832 Aged 1 yr & 11 mos. William d. October 20th 1835 Aged 2 yrs & 4 mos. Also Henry Upton FARR, Grandson of above d. 8 May 1854 Aged 2(?) yrs & 7 mos.
138. . Headstone: William James NEWMAN, B.8 March 1793, D.9 July 1837. Sarah his Wife B.1 Sep. 1795, D.22 Dec. 1836………../two Sons William & Henry.
139. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Frances, Wife of William HARRIS who departed this Life the 7th of October 1794 Aged 39 Years. Also the above William Harris, late Surgeon of this Parish, departed this Life the 23 of June 180./Aged 47 Years. Also Eleanor Harris, Sister of the above who …………../Life June ……./38(?) (obscured by footstone).
140. . Head and footstone: Sarah HARRISON d. 27 May 1819 Aged 83. "Farewell my Friends, my Children dear adieu/By Gods command I leave the World and gon/no more on Earth I shall four Faces see/But hope in Heaven we all shall happy be". Ann Susanna SUTHERLAND d. 5 April 1807 Aged 2. Susanna, Wife of Robert Sutherland d. 8 June 1837 in her 59th Year. Eliza, Wife of Charles Sutherland d. 6 Aug. 1849 Aged 41.
141. . Head and footstone: George MISSING d. 1 Jan. 1838 Aged 81. Hannah his Wife d. 14 July 1843 Aged 84. William their Son drowned near Whitby 13 Jan. 1837 Aged 44. Sarah, Wife of George Missing Junr. d. 3 Jan. 1839 Aged 45. Elizabeth GRAVES, dau. of above d. 3 Aug. 1841 Aged 38. George, Son of above d. 3 Ap. 1843 Aged 54. Henry James, son of John & Harriot GOODYER d. 4 Nov. 1845 Aged 21. Also 2 Daus. d. in their Infancy. Mary Ann, Wife of William DADD & dau. of above d. 12 Aug. 1847 Aged 47. Also a dau. who d. in her Infancy. At back of stone: Hannah, dau. of George & Sarah Missing d. 11 Nov. 1850 Aged 35. Martha, Wife of James Missing d. 18 Aug. 1853 Aged 56.
142. . Head and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of Esther, Wife of Charles MITTON, who departed this Life the 30 of December 1806 Aged 55? Years. "To name her ………/grief/What ……………../relief/A husband mourns the ……./Fame spread her worth a husband knew it well". Also the above Charles Mitton died May the 31 1807 Aged 56 Years.
143. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of James HEATH who departed this Life the 1st of April 1797 Aged 41 Years. Also Ann, Wife of the above who departed this Life the 24th of May 1816 Aged 60 Years. "Tho’ long bore down by sore affliction’s Weight/Their Hearts too good to murmur at their Fate/With Christian Fortitude they bore their pain/Till Death consign’d them to Dust again". Mr Thomas MIDDLETON Died 8th Decr 1815 Aged ..*/Years. *Concealed by a clamp. On other side: Sacred to the Memory of Capt. Joseph MIDDLETON who died September 19th 1843 Aged 46 Years. Also Maria, Wife of Mr Richard TYLER and daughter of Mr Thomas Middleton died November 11th 1846 Aged 48 Years. Mary Ann, Wife of Mr Thomas Middleton died January 26th 1846 Aged 81 Years.
144. . Head and footstone: Martha, Wife of William MERCHANT of the Parish of Milton d. 30 March 1850 Aged 65. George Henry, Son of above d. 27 Aug. 1853 Aged 28.
145. . Headstone with large body stone: In Memory of William CURDS of this Parish who departed this Life the 21st of June 1822 Aged 54 Years. Also Polly Curds, Wife of the above who departed this Life the 6th of September 1850 Aged 78 Years. At back of stone: Sacred to the Memory of Bridget, Wife of William CURDS, who departed this Life the 27th of August 1801 Aged 31 Years. Also Mary, Lucy, Harriot, Eliza and William, who died in their Infancy. Thomas Curds, Son of William & Polly Curds departed this Life the 19 of September 1838 Aged 30 Years. Also William Curds who departed this Life the 28th of April 1840 Aged 35 Years.
146. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of Joseph LUKES (of this Parish) who died May 4th 1797 Aged 52 Years. Also Elizabeth his Wife d. 20 Sep. 1815 Aged 72. Elizabeth, dau. of John & Mary Lukes d. 1 Ap. 1826 Aged 16. Mary, Wife of John Lukes d. 23 Dec. 1838 Aged 51. At back of stone: John LEWIS, Son of John Lewis & Susanna Sarah LUKES d. 17 Feb. 1839 Aged 3. Edward Walter, their Son d. 28 June 1847 Aged 17 Mos.
147. . Headstone, sunk at back of No.140: Mr Will WOOD Died 24 June 1797/……………………/.
148. . Marble curb without any inscription.
149. . Head and footstone: Elizabeth, Wife of John HOOKER d. 21 Dec. 1827 Aged 59. John Hooker d. 11 Nov. 1853 Aged 76. Elizabeth BONE, Sister of John Hooker d. 19 May 1861 Aged 87.
150. . Head and footstone: James Thomas FELLGATE, Son of David & Mary Fellgate d. 26 Sep. 1833 Aged 37. Mary Fellgate d. 25 Jan. 1837 Aged 70. David Fellgate d. 1 Mar. 1840 Aged 67. Also the Undermentioned Children of Edward & Mary Fellgate, viz: Elizabeth d. 13 …./1831 Aged 13 Months. Thomas Luke d. 17 Oct? 18../Aged ../Weeks. Edward Randal d. 4 Jan. 18../Aged 6 Yrs & ../Mos. Susannah Emily d. 17 Jan. 1840 Aged 3 Yrs & 9 Mos. Footstone: J.T.F. 1833. M.F. 1837. D.F. 1840. E.F. 1831. T.L.F. 1838. …./1839. ……./.
151. . Flat stone below 145: Also Randell REID d. 31 May 1841 Aged 68. Susanna his Wife d. 2 Jan. 1856 Aged 84.
152. . Head and footstone: Elizabeth HALES d. 17 Feb. 1819 Aged 83. John Hales d. 17 Ap. 1820 Aged 81.
153. . Headstone & raised slab: Here rests all that is Mortal of David Elland LANGTON and Mary, his Wife. Mary Langton, Born 17 February 1788, Died 12 August 1845. David Elland Langton, Born 29 June 1785, Died 30 January 1873. "Thanks be to God which giveth us the Victory/Through our Lord Jesus Christ".
154. . Head and footstone: John, Son of John & Caroline MORGAN d. 23 Feb. 1845 Aged 1 Year. "Weep not for me my Parents dear/The dear Lord is pleased to take me to his care/There is not one temptation …../me here/And I am safe from every sneer".
155. . Head and footstone: Edmund HAMMOND d. 2 Ap. 1845 Aged 44.
156. . Head and footstone, Cherubs heads etc. much worn: ………./………/Mr J…………./……../of James KIRK/GRAV…../of the Parish of …../Gravesend………../who died June 16 1787/27/……../Aged 44 Years/……………../Also Five Sons and Four Daughters.
157. . Head and footstone: Elizabeth NEWSON d. 27 Sep. 1843? of the Parish of Milton next Gravesend in her 80th Year.
158. . Headstone, ornamented: Beneath are interred the remains of Elizabeth, Wife of Mr John NEWING who departed this Life the 28th April 1817 Aged 42 leaving Issue three Sons & one Daughter. Viz: John Edward John Stephen & Elizabeth. This Stone is erected by her Husband in commemoration of departed Worth.
159. . Altar tomb much worn. Inscription on top: To the Memory of Robert BRONGER Esq. who departed this Life January ../1806 Aged 54 Years. Also William, John & Elizabeth children of the above who died in their …./[7 lines of epitaph illegible]. Also Alexander and Mary Son and Daughter of Alexander and Mary SMITH who died in their Infancy. East side: Sacred to the Memory of William, Son of Robert Bronger of this Parish Son in Law to Alexander SMITH of Milton who was unfortunately drowned in Northfleet Hope the 17th of August in the Year of our Lord 1817 Aged 16 Years. South side: Sacred to the Memory of Benjamin Alexander Smith, Son of Alexander and Mary Smith who died May 16th 1829 Aged 5 Years. Also William Alexander, Son of the above who died June 12th 1833 Aged 13 Years. Likewise 10 Children who died in their Infancy. Also Mary Elizabeth Smith their Daughter who died July ../1842? Aged 8 Years and 6 Months. [4 lines of Epitaph illegible]. West side: Sacred to the Memory of Richard Hurst Smith, Son of John Alexander and Annette Smith who died March 19th 1849 Aged 10 Months. [North side blank].
160. (This entry follows 144 in notebook) . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Isabella, Wife of William BEER who departed this Life the 11th of June 1810 Aged 32 Years. "Sweet Jesus why …/dost thou love/Such worthless Things as ………../Why is thy Heart still towards us/Who seldom think on thee". Also Elizabeth, Second Wife of the above William Beer who departed this Life 21st Decr 1821 Aged 51 Years. "Nor pain nor grief nor anxious fear/Invade thy bounds no mortal woes/Can reach the lovely Sleeper here/And Angels watch her soft repose". Also the above William Beer who departed this Life ../January 1817/…../. On the other side: In Memory of Francis Beer, Son of William and Elizabeth Beer who died the 18th of February 1815 Aged 2 Years. Also Mary Ann Beer who died the 21st of January 1819 Aged 2 Years & 8 Months.
161. . Head and footstone: Edward, Son of John & Sarah DOUGHTY of this Parish d. 4 July 1840 Aged 4 Months. John William d. 4 Jan. 1845 Aged 11 Yrs & 5 Mos.
162. . Head and footstone with angel in cartouche in centre: Here lyeth Interred the Body of Mrs Mary MOULD, Wife of Mr William Mould of the Parish of Milton next Gravesend who departed this Life the twenty first day of February 1787 Aged Sixty Nine Years. Also the above William Mould who departed this Life the 11th of October 1802 Aged 90 Years. Picture
163. . Head and footstone: Mr John BRADDY d. 6 Oct. 1834 Aged 52. Patty his Wife d. 26 Ap. 1840 Aged 56. John, Son of above d. in Infancy. Charlotte Alice JESSUP, Grand daughter of above d. 16 Oct. 1835 Aged 2 Yrs & 9 Mos. Mr James Goodhugh Jessup d. 20 Nov. 1843 Aged 43.
164. . Headstone, small: Edward WARDLOW d. 7 Ap. 1828 Aged 57. Mary his Wife d. 11 Feb. 1834 Aged 59. Edward James Wardlow their Grandson ……………/Infancy.
165. . Head and footstone: Richard AUSTEN d. 25 May 1827 Aged 41. Gelinger John MATSON, Son in Law of the above d. 21 May 1849 Aged 41. Maria, Wife of George Austen d. 16 Ap. 1853 Aged 23.
166. . Altar Tomb in South west corner, surrounded by iron railings. Inscription. East side: Here lie deposited the Remains of Charlotte, late Wife of John WAKEFIELD Esq. who died on the 1st Day of December 1772 in the ../Year of her Age. North side: "Of fair descent, of manners most refin’d/Englighten’d genius, and exalted mind,/Form’d to delight, and ev’ry heart to please,/She spoke with dignity, and wrote with ease/ Sweet in her converse, social and sincere/Placed her looks, and as her conscience clear;/Touch’d with a spark of pure celestial fire,/She seemed a member of th’ Angelic choir;/Of all the powers, of Harmony possess’d/Admiring Friends, the skill’d musician, bless’d/Gen’rous and just, benevolent and kind,/In sufferings patient, and in death resign’d,/True to her church and constant to her God,/The pious Christian’s course, She firmly trod;/Of all her sex, the ornament and pride,/She liv’d respected, and lamented died"/. On top slab: John WAKEFIELD Cheshunt Herts Died November 5th 1819 Aged 82 Years.
167. . On South wall remains of tablet, inscription gone.
168. . On West wall, Mont divided into three tablets. Upper one: In Memory of Mr John Mills EVANS who departed this Life April 14th 1823 Aet. 53. Also Mr Henry Wilson MILLS who departed this Life June 8th 1820 Aet. 71 (?). Central tablet: Also Mr John EVANS who departed this …./on Sunday July the 7th 1803 Ag../of 68. Sub tablet blank.
169. . Large tablet on wall, crumbling away: Sophia …………/William WYBORN of Shorne K……/Edward and Eli……/WILLET Died O……/1844 Aged 65 Years. Margaretta Jemima , Wife of …U.D. JOHNSON Died May 29th 1846 Aged 25 Years. Edward William WOODFORD Died August 31st 1850 and was buried at St. Brelades Jersey Aged 66 Years. Also two infant Children of Henry PACK and Mary WOODFORD. Henry Pack Woodford, Son of Edward William Woodford Died May 31st 1889 Aged 76 Years.
170. . Large mont, Upper tablet with wreath etc: Erected to the Memory of William ATTER Obt. 21st Decr. 1789 Aet. 67. Mary PITT Obt. 4th June 1791 Aet. 32. Mary Atter Obt. 5 Novr. 1792 Aet. 72. William WILLET Obt. 24th Feby 1797 Aet. 39. Edward Willet Obt. 7th Decr. 1801 Aet. 63. Middle tablet: Henry JOHNSON Obt. 4th April 1813 Aet. 55. Jane DEAN Obt. 24th July 1816 Aet. 58. And Four Infant Children of Edward William and Sarah WOODFORD. William PITT Died 6th of July 1820 Aged 39 Years. Henry, Son of Thomas & Mary Johnson Died January 12th 1819 Aged 5 Years. Thomas Johnson Died January 21st 1822 Aged 11 Years. Lower tablet: Elizabeth WILLET Died July 8th 1824 Aged 75 Years. Thomas Johnson Junr Died October 5th 1826 Aged 47 Years. Martha Johnson Died October 7th 1831 Aged 80 Years. Sarah Woodford Died February 11th 1835 Aged 49 Years. Thomas Johnson Died August 14th 1836 Aged 90 Years. Mary Ann Johnson Died January 3rd 1842 Aged 36 Years. Charles Edward Johnson Died Novr. 23rd 1843 Aged 52 Years.
171. . Headstone, loose: Sacred to the Memory of Elizabeth, Daughter of Francis & Eliz…../who died the 21st of March Ag../../Y…./"A Gift too g…/………………./……………/A……/……../grief …../Stone…../more". Also the above …../DALE who died ………/.
172. . Headstone, small, painted black: To the Memory of Ephraim RYCRAFT who died 26th August 1818 Aged 26 Years.
173. . Head and footstone, crumbling: In Memory of Three Children of Thomas Carpenter DIXON and Susanna his Wife. Mary Obt. August 6th 1836 Aged 3 Years & 9 Months. Mary Ann Obt. Decr 27th 1837 Aged 8 Months. Thomas Obt. Jany 17th 1838 Aged 7 Years & 9 Months. John HAM, Grandfather of the above Obt. January 13th 1848 Aged 82.
174. . Headstone, a fragment with Cherubs heads etc: Sacred to the Memory of S…./Wife …………../………………/……………../.
175. . Head and footstone: Sacred to the Memory of Three Sons and Two Daughters of Robert and Jane EVANS. Elias died the 24th of July 1800 Aged 3 Years. Ann died the 11th of May 101 Aged 8 Years. David died the 18th of June 1807 Aged 13 Months. Isaac died the 9th of September 1808 Aged 3 Months. Ann d……/1816 Aged 4/.
176. . Headstone, small black stone, inscription quite gone.
177. . Headstone leaning against wall, female head with wreath round: In Memory of Ann, Wife of Thomas CHEESEMAN who departed this Life the 16th July 1791 Aged .9/ Years. Also Sarah ……/of the above Thomas Cheeseman who died the 24 of June 1807 Aged 32 Years. "The toils of Life and pains of Death are o’er/And care and pain and sickness are no more". Also the above Thomas Cheeseman died July 5th 1810 Aged 54 Years. "Oh cruel Death who would not spare/A loving Wife and Friend sincere/Took her away left me behind/The world to try and Friends to find".
178. . Headstone behind ivy: Sacred to the Memory of Ann, Wife of William BEER who died January 9th 1844 Aged 74 Years. Also of John ALEXANDER, Grandson of the above who died July 14th 1847 Aged 9 Years.
179. . Headstone: Ann Smeadley BAKER late of Lambeth Surry Died the 4th of June 1792 Aged 68 Years. Also Peter, Son of Peter and Sarah PARKER who died the 20th of May 180./Aged 22 Years.
180. . Headstone on wall crumbling: To the Memory of Elizabeth PARKER who died February 16th 1827 Aged 21 Years. Ann P..tman Parker Died May 12 18../Aged 6? Years & 9 Months. Also Elizabeth Parker …../Aged ../……./Robert Parker/……………./……../Years.
181. . Tablet on wall with Urn & angel: Sacred to the Memory of Mira, Wife of Richard CLEVELAND of this Parish who departed this Life July the 27th 1823 Aged 28 Years. "To wail? her virtues ill befits my Grief/What was my bliss can now give no relief/A husband mourns the best let friendship tell/Fame spread her worth her Husband knew it well". Also Ann, wife of James TURTLE Died Novr 19th 1839 Aged 62 Years.
182. . Headstone, black & undecipherable.
183. . Headstone, small & much worn: In Memory of James DONALDSON Esq. ./Second O…/of the ……./…../……/.
184. . Head and footstone: John HEDGECOCK d. 26 April 1835 Aged 49.
End of West Wall.
185. . Headstone by Church path, opposite North West door, with female figure, anchor etc: To the Memory of Mr Richard ANDERSON Senr of this Parish who died November 25th 1745 Aged 55 Years. Likewise Mrs Martha Anderson, Wife of the above who died Augst 2 1770 Aged 80 Years. Also John, Son of Richard and Eunice Anderson who died May 17th 1772 Aged 12 Weeks. Also Eunice, Wife of Richard Anderson who died January 14th 1794 Aged 62 Years. She was a loving Wife & an indulgent Mother to her Children.
186. . Headstone: In Memory of Robert HOPPER of this Parish departed this Life the 10th of March 1796 Aged 55 Years. Also …./Children of the above who died in their Infancy.
187. . Headstone: Joseph ROWLAND late of Dovercourt House? d. 17 Oct 1848 Aged 36. "Affliction sole long time I bore/Physicians were in vain/Till God did please Death should me seize/And ease me of my pain".
188. [173.]. Head and footstone: Anne, daughter of William & Sarah Eleanor ROXBERY who was unfortunately drowned 25 August 1830 Aged 15. "In the midst of life we are in death". Sarah Eleanor Roxbery d. 16 Jan. 1831 Aged 48. James Roxbery, Son of above d. 11 Jan. 1845 Aged 23. William Roxbery d. 14 Feb. 1852 Aged 68.
189. . Head and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of Mary, Wife of Mr Alexr BERNARD who departed this Life 31st May 1809 Aged 29 Years. Also seven of their Infants. Left Issue three Children viz: Anne Joseph-Alexander and Mary. Anne died 2nd November 1818 Aged 22. Mary died 8th January 1820 Aged 18. Joseph died 14th February 1826 Aged 26(?). Also the above Mr Alexr Bernard who departed this Life 5th Jan. (?) 1846 in the 80th Year of his Life. Mrs Mary BERNARD, Mother of Mr Alexander Bernard died the 2nd of November 1818 Aged 75 Years.
190. . Headstone with urn painted black and body stone: Mary Sarah FREW dau. of Thomas & Mary Sarah SEAGER. B. 23 Sep. 1820. D. 19 Dec. 1829. Thomas, Son of above d. 26 Aug. 1830 Aged 8 Years & 7 Months. James Henry Frew adopted son of the above d. 18 February 1841 in his 22nd Year. Thomas Seager d. 7 Jan. 1845 in his 52nd Year. Mary Sarah Seager d. 21 July 1858 in her 69th Year. Her remains are deposited in the Gravesend and Milton Cemetery. Picture
191. . Head and body stone, crumbling: Sacred to the Memory of Elizabeth MANNING, Wife of Jonathan Manning who departed this Life January 22nd 1836 Aged 46 Years. Also the above Jonathan Manning who departed this Life September 3rd 1844? Aged 59? Years.
192. . Head and footstone: Mr John WRIGHT d. 18 May 1828 Aged 50. John, Son of the above d. 20 Nov. 1834 Aged 29.
193. . Headstone, very worn, next North gate of Church yard: In Memory of NA…../PA……../…………./Life Sept 1807 ……../Years. Nath PANKHURST, Son of the above who unfortunately met with his Death by a fall from the Mast head of the King George Tilt Boat No. …/on the 10th of Sept. 1812 of the Age of 20 leaving a Widow & Son to lament his loss. Elizabeth CRANE died 13 February 1815 Aged 29 Years. …………./COLLINS?…./the 27/…………../Aged ..ars/. At back of stone: Sacred …………………/Esther, Wife ../John PRICE ……/18.5/…../Years. Also Frances TWIGG, Wife of Joseph Twigg Died May 31st 1840 Aged 50 Years.
End of West Churchyard.
194. . Head and body stone: In Memory of Miss PENN, Daughter of George & Elizabeth Penn (Isle of Thanet) Born 1789 Died 1847. Also Thomas PALLISTER of this Parish, Son of Blaydes & Jane Pallister of Thirsk Born March 24th 1784 Died August 15th 1851. Picture
195. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of Mrs Elizabeth HANDSOME, Wife of William Handsome of The Temple, London who departed this Life the 27th of July 1841 Aged 74 Years. Also the above William HANDSOME who died at Brompton the 23rd of August 1847. His Remains lie interred in the Cemetery of that place.
196. . Headstone, with urn engraved: Sacred to the Memory of Mary, Wife of Henry FOSTER who died the 7th of February 1792 Aged 27? Years. Also 7 Children of James & Sarah NICHOLSON. Sarah died June 5th 1785 Aged 18 Months. Will died Decr 16th 1787 Aged 21 Months. Henry died July 2nd 1790 Aged 4 Years. John died Augst 16th 1792 Aged 16 Months. James died June 7th 1794 Aged 18 Months. John died July 12th 1797 Aged 8 Months. Eliz. died Sepr 22nd 1800 Aged 16 Months. And 4 Children died Infants. Here …../Elizabeth Nicholson, Wife of James Nicholson who died April 30th 1803 Aged 40 Years. Also Henry Foster who died March 27 1809 Aged 76 Years.
197. . Head and body stone: Philip LUSCOMBE of this Parish d. 10 Jan 1831 Aged 66. Ann his Wife d. 5 Nov. 1848 Aged 78. Also three of their Sons. John d. 2 July 1818 Aged 24. Isaac d. 27 Feb. 1829 Aged 24. Samuel d. 25 Feb. 1837 Aged 29. Ann, Daughter of the above d. 5 June 1854 in her 51st Year.
198. . Head and body stone, crumbling: Sacred to the Memory of Lydia, Wife of David Amey GASEHAM who departed this Life 15th Seper 1826 Aged 56 Years. Also of John Gaseham of the Chief Court of Excise Broad Street and ………..ber/Row London who departed this Life 7th Septr 1832 Aged 66 Years.
199. . Head and body stone: Abraham HOLMES d. 6 June 1844 Aged 74. "When God cuts off the thread of Life/Fatal Death parts Man and Wife". Mary his wife d. 14 Sept. 1848 Aged 68. "A tender husband and a Wife so dear/Both in one Grave lie sleeping here".
200. . Headstone: Sacred to the Memory of Margaret ..OBERT.?/ …………../ …………….. /1.0/Aged 22 Years.
201. . Head and body stone: Erected to the Memory of Nathaniel AUSTEN Esqre late of Ramsgate in this County who died in this Parish on the 9th day of December 1841 Aged 34 Years. Picture
202. . Head, foot and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of William CRAIG of this Parish who departed this life November 11th 1828 Aged 56. Mrs Eleanor COLLINS died November 7th 1828 Aged 65. Margaret GARRICK (Neice of the above) died April 26th 1813 Aged 12. "Far from this World of toil & strife/They’re present with the Lord/The labours of this mortal life/End in a large reward". Picture
203. . Head and body stone: Ann, Wife of Captn John THOMPSON of the East India Company Service d. 22 Oct 1832 Aged 53. John Thompson d. 24 Dec 1837 Aged 67. Ann Catherine their dau. d. 18 Ap. 1853 Aged 44. Picture
204 . Altar tomb, top shaped like a coffin. Inscription North side only: Sacred to the Memory of Mrs Susannah CRUDEN who died the 22nd of July 1842 Aged 72 Years.
205. . Headstone: Mary, Widow of Thomas COVENEY d. 5 Oct 1848 Aged 80. "Verily, verily I say unto you Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die it abideth alone but if it die it bringeth forth much fruit". John 12th Ch. V. 24th.
206. . Headstone: Mary, beloved Wife of John HARVEY d. 6 Sep. 1841 Aged 26. Picture
207. . Head and body stone: Sacred to the Memory of Mr Samuel GLADWELL who departed this Life the 3rd of July 1833 Aged 38? Years. "Here lies departed from this Life/The best of husbands to his Wife/Affectionate, kind and faithful to the …/In his dying moments a look on her …../…../were his eyes on her so admired/He clasped her hand and calmly he expired/Breathing a gentle sigh with his last breath/And soon was folded in the Arms of Death/May his departed soul in heaven dwell/In mortal virtue (?) few could him excel/Afflictions sore long time he bore/Physicians were in vain/ Till God did please Death should him seize/To ease him of his pain./His Soul he calmly then resign’d/To the Almighty quite consign’d". Also William Samuel GLADWELL, Son of the above who died 24th March 1818 Aged 11 Months.
208. . Headstone, with cherubs worn away: In Memory of Mary VIALL who departed this Life the 6 of Oct. 1753 Aged 64 Years.
209. . Stone tablet apparently fixed to another headstone next Vestry door: Ann Faucit SAVILL who died July 17th 1827 Aetat 29 Years. Leaving two Infant Daughters Ann? and Phebe aged one and two years. In Death she found Life/So may we all/. To perpetuate her Memory/To commemorate her Virtues/ As Daughter Wife and Mother/This Stone is erected/By her Afflicted Husband.